5 wood, Hybrid, or 2i

Regular Contributor
Which do you play and why?

I have a spot open at the top of the bag, and am thinking of adding either a 5 wood or a hybrid to switch in and out with my P790 2i. I currently game a 3HL also.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
drewcatc
Contributor

I haven't used a 5 wood in eons now...  I have used the rescues in th past and recently went to the M2 LIFT 3 iron, and will try the P790 UDI that I just received.

Drew

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I use a 790 3-iron which I'm absolutely in love with. My other alternative is an M4 4-iron. Excited to build up an M5 and M6 4-iron to see how those fair. I actually prefer the game improvement long irons because I can hit them higher and get them to stop but also struggle with the hooks so the offset can hurt me. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

Always been a fan of using 5 wood as the head is larger and gives me more confidence to hit a better shot. Hybrids to me have always look weird to the eye and looks like half a 5 wood. I wouldn't mind playing a 2 iron if it had a decent topline, but a lot of meat in the sole so I can get that ball in the air! LOL 

0 Kudos
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

@Allan graphite shaft in the 790 3-iron? 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Project X 7.0. So low spin that I get driver-ish conditions off the tee which is awesome but I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it more than 225 with confidence and unless the greens are super soft, it's going to roll out 20-40 yards so it's useless on long-carry approaches. I can carry the game improvement irons 240+ with minimal roll out so eager to build up and test out M5 and M6 4 irons. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

@Allan you're a beast my man! I need try the new irons this year! Might copy the move you're doing for that long iron! 

Regular Contributor
I find the same with the P790 UDI 2i. Which is why I love it off the tee on tight fairways or when I need my go to tee shot in a pressure situation in a league match. I do not like hybrids much for the looks and the hooks. 5 wood is a good alternative for me as they get up and out and land softer, but are prone to wind.

#TeamTaylorMade
Highlighted
BigMuffin
Occasional Contributor

P790 UDI 2 iron with a C-Taper Lite X shaft. Love the feel off of the tee and I don't have any problem getting the ball up into the air off of the deck. Tried to game hybrids multiple times, but I just like the iron look so much more. Never thought about a 5 wood, but I would say I can hit the 2 iron better than my 3 wood anyways.

0 Kudos
VazquezRyan
Occasional Visitor
i Currently use a SLDR hybrid that just feels so nice and for some reason I’ve just grown to never take it out of my bag nor have I found a club to replace it (just me though) however, I do have the P790 UDI iron that I’ll use if I get myself in trouble under the trees and I need a club that I can hit a good distance, keep low, and in some cases thread through the trees if need be. Maybe only used the UDI of the tee a few times and when you hit it right, it’s ball flight is amazing and just feels so nice off the face.
0 Kudos