5 wood, Hybrid, or 2i

Benjo84
Occasional Contributor

I had experimented over the last 4 years trying different 5 woods, hybrids and driving irons to find a club that filled the distance between my 3 wood and 4 iron (I play 4 wedges and drop the 3 iron). I never felt comfortable with how lofted the look of the 19 degree 5 wood looked at address, and I always battle hiitng the hybrid left. I played the Ping driving iron, the Callaway Apex utility, the Taylormade TPI 2 iron as well as the P790 2i. I would have streaks of great play with them but never felt I had real consistency. Then last summer I tried the Taylormade GAPR Lo 2 iron at 18 degrees with a Tensei CK Pro White 100TX shaft. If you are someone who prefers the way a long iron plays to a 5 wood, then the GAPR is the play. It's way more forgiving than the other driving irons I played, and is easy off the tee on a tight par 4, and great from the fairway on a par 5. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to flight it high enough to use with 2nd shots into par 5's, but it has been so easy to flight it up or down. 

If you're still searching, try the GAPR.

0 Kudos
Staples
Occasional Contributor
I used to play an R9 5w wayback and absolutely loved it. I kind of worked away from it over recent years and was playing a Mizuno MP5h 2i so I could flight it down a bit. Well, I switched to an M3 19* hybrid a few months ago. I can’t hit it low like the 2i, but it’s so forgiving and fairly straight for me. About the only time I don’t really like it is into the wind since I hit it fairly high. Other than that, it’s a rocket launcher.
0 Kudos