Added weight to 2017 M1 Driver

Highlighted
Maciver51
Occasional Visitor

Has anyone added an additional weight to the heel/toe track on their new driver? I have the original weights in the tracks but would like more weight in the head of the driver.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@Maciver51wrote:

Has anyone added an additional weight to the heel/toe track on their new driver? I have the original weights in the tracks but would like more weight in the head of the driver.

I have not, but I sure want too! I wonder if I could add a 3rd weight to help correct flight (draw or fade) and keep the first 2 weights set at the front of the track.

And what weights do I need to have maximum effect?

Very good questions!! I hope we can get some guidence from TM on this. What at the guys on tour doing? Not all of us have access to hot melt.

0 Kudos
MCGolfTM
Contributor

I cannot find the photos I saw this, but did see someone took a weight from either a M1 driver or wood and put the weight on the back draw setting for the M3. You can tell it is not the same style weight, but I'm sure it does the trick. I would wait to get a stock weight before adding to my driver though as I would not want to void warranty.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@MCGolfTMwrote:

I cannot find the photos I saw this, but did see someone took a weight from either a M1 driver or wood and put the weight on the back draw setting for the M3. You can tell it is not the same style weight, but I'm sure it does the trick. I would wait to get a stock weight before adding to my driver though as I would not want to void warranty.

I am pretty sure TM is supposed to make additional weights available. I still have some clam shell weight kits around from the R7 days! bring out a kit so we can tinker around a bit!

0 Kudos
MCGolfTM
Contributor

I have heard this as well. I will wait until the stock weights become avaialble for these and then add them in to find the perfect combintation.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

Sure, I've tried lots of configurations.  Currently have 3 weights in the M3.  2 in the center track back as far as they go, and 1 on the fade.  I've found I prefer the added weight to be farther back in the head, otherwise you start to lose the feel of the back of the club, if that makes sense.   Weights too far forward equals a face too heavy for me - I like weight to the back to balance out the head.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@BLwrote:

Sure, I've tried lots of configurations.  Currently have 3 weights in the M3.  2 in the center track back as far as they go, and 1 on the fade.  I've found I prefer the added weight to be farther back in the head, otherwise you start to lose the feel of the back of the club, if that makes sense.   Weights too far forward equals a face too heavy for me - I like weight to the back to balance out the head.

I know exactly what you mean there. On the original M1, I had to play the weights forward to get the launch numbers just right, but that definitely felt "face heavy."

Regarding weight placement, there was a very interesting study done by some folks in Canada at a place called The Golf Lab. They measured the changes in sweet spot based on the weights being forward or back for the 2017 M1 and the M3. Fascinating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BewOS81ANy7/

0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

@jll62wrote:

@BLwrote:

I know exactly what you mean there. On the original M1, I had to play the weights forward to get the launch numbers just right, but that definitely felt "face heavy."

Regarding weight placement, there was a very interesting study done by some folks in Canada at a place called The Golf Lab. They measured the changes in sweet spot based on the weights being forward or back for the 2017 M1 and the M3. Fascinating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BewOS81ANy7/

Now that's very interesting.  See, I found almost the opposite.   My standard miss is low/low heel, and I rarely, if ever, used anything toe-side of the face.   The M1 preferred a higher impact point for me.  Lower on the face of the M1 lacked distance.  The M3 is significantly hotter lower on the face in my findings.  And with the M3 face being shallower, I'm having an easier time hitting it higher on the face, but it still works well center of the face with no noticeable difference the higher you go up.  I did hotmelt my M3 toe side as well, so that might have moved things a bit. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

This can get sticky because obviously the biggest implication here is swing weight. 

I play a 43" driver which decreases swing weight considerably. On top of that, I play D6 or D7 so I added an extra weight to help achieve a D6 SW with my M3. Aside from that, I think the track weighting system is pretty comprehensive to achieve what you're looking for without adding an additional weight. Talking to the TOUR techs, they said M3 has hands down been the best adjustable driver for dialing guys in quickly; which leads me to believe anything in regards to adding a third weight would be more mental than anything. I've also noticed sound is affected with adding a 3rd weight so I'm eager to get a heavier weight to knock it down to two. 

In regards to selling weights, this could become a reality around late April or Early may. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

@Allanwrote:

This can get sticky because obviously the biggest implication here is swing weight. 

I play a 43" driver which decreases swing weight considerably. On top of that, I play D6 or D7 so I added an extra weight to help achieve a D6 SW with my M3. Aside from that, I think the track weighting system is pretty comprehensive to achieve what you're looking for without adding an additional weight. Talking to the TOUR techs, they said M3 has hands down been the best adjustable driver for dialing guys in quickly; which leads me to believe anything in regards to adding a third weight would be more mental than anything. I've also noticed sound is affected with adding a 3rd weight so I'm eager to get a heavier weight to knock it down to two. 

In regards to selling weights, this could become a reality around late April or Early may. 

At a shorter length (mine is 44.5") with a heavyweight shaft (mine is 88g), you need some weight to get to something above a D0.  I'd prefer my swingweight to be around D4 - seems to be my sweetspot.  As of now, it's nearly D7, which is a bit much, but after a day of hitting it well, it's tough to change. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos