Club Fitter wants to increase my driver shaft weight and flex.

BayouBogeys
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, so I’m a 15 handicap who started playing a few years back. Last year I decided to buy a secondhand R flex M4 3FW and 4H. Last week I went to a Taylormade driver fitting for the new M5/M6 driver at our local Edwin Watts and the club fitter fitted me into a Hzrdus Black 75 gram S-flex shaft. The shots were looking decent on the simulator and I was getting about 25 yards more distance over my current driver (R-15 R-flex).

My questions is am I going to mess myself up in the long run moving to a heavier and stiffer in just my driver until I can afford to change the shafts in my other woods?

Thanks,
Ben

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't be concerned. I personally play an 83g driver shaft. Ultimately going up in driver shaft made me bump up weight for the rest of my bag as well. It all comes down to feel. I'm assuming the added weight is helping you find the center of the club for whatever reason. 

Take the extra yards and run with it!

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I do not think you’ll have too much trouble as you’ll get used to the different shafts in each club, I would however get the correct fitted shafts for your clubs as soon as you can as it will only help your game.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BayouBogeys
Occasional Contributor

I liked the feel of the heavier shaft.  I felt like I had more control over the club.  And the extra yardage is nice!

0 Kudos
BayouBogeys
Occasional Contributor

I plan over time to upgrade all my clubs to ones that better fit me as my game has improved.  Just gotta do it piece by piece since I don't have a club contract haha.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I did the same with my driver and woods at the beginning of this season. I found that I was gaining yardage as I was hitting the center of the club face much more consistently and repeatably. The heavier shaft also kept my shots in better control and less tendency to lose a shot left or right. If you are seeing that big a distance increase take it and enjoy it!

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
BayouBogeys
Occasional Contributor

The fitter explained to me I am getting the extra distance cause I am finding the center of the face better and I am taking a lot of spin off the ball from the face not whipping around.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Yes, certainly why shaft fitting is so important.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
HB_KANG
New Contributor
I was fitted tpt 16/Mkp/mt/sw shaft with m3, but suffer in most 2nd 9holes . Possibly hot weather and poor stamina .

However when switching to Accra regular flex , driving result was amazed and I felt stronger 😅
0 Kudos