DJ Back to the Musclebacks in Mexico City

lazzonya
New Contributor

Just noticed while watching the WGC today that DJ is playing the old 2014 MB's (at least his 6 iron on #7 was).  

Makes me want to keep mine in the bag for one more season and put the "new iron money" towards a golf trip instead.

Just joined the forum and looking forward to many interesting reads.

TK3309
Contributor

Noticed this change as well. He had the DJ Protos for a few tournaments and thought the change might be permananent but he's had so much success with the 14' MBs that I think everyone probably knew there was a chance they'd go back in the bag at any point. It's not like it has been a case of poor play as he has been in the top 16 in every event but an interesting change nonetheless. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When you look at DJ's stats heading into the WGC event in Mexico, you see that he's had a fairly significant regression in GIR in two crucial categories:

• GIR from 175-200: 2nd in 2017, but just 158th heading into Mexico.
  • GIR from 150-175: 115th in 2017, but just 215th heading into Mexico.

From a strokes gained perspective, his approaching the green number has fallen from an average of +0.702 per round in 2017 (5th), to +0.300 per round in 2018 (62nd).

Does this mean the P730 are worse than the 2014 MBs? Of course not. All it means is that DJ is struggling with some areas in which he'll need to perform better at Augusta and perhaps he thinks going back to the old irons will do the trick.

I wouldn't read anything into this for my own equipment choices (I'm still hoping to get some P730s soon), but if you have the 2014 MBs in the bag already, I'd think it would be hard to change to the P730 unless you just like new stuff.

lazzonya
New Contributor

great stats on his non-wedge distances since going to the PROTO's & it seems very likely, IMO, that is a factor. 

I'm always looking to change / tinker / build, but I just love the look of the 2014 MB's.

It's the old "are my clubs outdated" trap I was falling into.  I think DJ just saved my MB's for at least one more season.  I mean, if they're good enough for him..... LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have a bad case of that "my clubs are old" disease too...hahaha. This time, I'm looking to get back into blades after a few years of players CBs, and I think the 730s are sexy as hell, so nothing is stopping me from going that route.

0 Kudos