Evolution of R Series EF wedges- Dark Finish to Satin to ??

Frequent Contributor

I currently have 4 R Series EF wedges in the bag. a 47/52/56/58 all tweeked to cover a specific yardage....with limited success! But, that is another thread. Smiley Happy What are we seeing as the evolution of the wedge line. What are the guys testing on tour now? Are we seeing a second generation of the EF grooves? What advantage are the guys on tour seeing with the non-insert faced Satin wedge Prototypes? Will they make it to retail?

Lots of questions, hoping to kick off some discussion.

0 Kudos
HurstyGolf
Occasional Contributor

@Ed_Settle wrote:

I currently have 4 R Series EF wedges in the bag. a 47/52/56/58 all tweeked to cover a specific yardage....with limited success! But, that is another thread. Smiley Happy What are we seeing as the evolution of the wedge line. What are the guys testing on tour now? Are we seeing a second generation of the EF grooves? What advantage are the guys on tour seeing with the non-insert faced Satin wedge Prototypes? Will they make it to retail?

Hey Ed- I'd say about 70% of the guys that are playing EF Wedges are playing the Chrome version over the PVD Black - some of which are plated and some are non-plated. I think it is personal preference for them for color (at least for DJ/Sergio when I asked them). The non-plated version won't make it to retail as it is something only the TOUR players have access to per their own request, but there isn't too many guys playing this version to be honest. DJ plays them because he feels like the ball sticks to the face a little better and he can control his short pitch shots on tight lies, but there are very few others that notice a difference.

As far as testing goes, not too much going on right now since the FedEx is about to kick-off, but next year should satisfy many wedge fanatics — I'll leave it at that.

Social Media | TaylorMade Golf
@HurstyGolf
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@HurstyGolf54 wrote:

@Ed_Settle wrote:

Hey Ed- I'd say about 70% of the guys that are playing EF Wedges are playing the Chrome version over the PVD Black - some of which are plated and some are non-plated. I think it is personal preference for them for color (at least for DJ/Sergio when I asked them). The non-plated version won't make it to retail as it is something only the TOUR players have access to per their own request, but there isn't too many guys playing this version to be honest. DJ plays them because he feels like the ball sticks to the face a little better and he can control his short pitch shots on tight lies, but there are very few others that notice a difference.

As far as testing goes, not too much going on right now since the FedEx is about to kick-off, but next year should satisfy many wedge fanatics — I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for your response! There are pictures of wedges that seem to have no face insert. They don't have the apperance of a seperate face like the OG dark finish. Is this the non plated you are talking about?

0 Kudos