FIRST REACTIONS to new M3 and M4 drivers?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

All

Now that it's all out, would love to know your initial reactions and thoughts to Twist Face, Hammerhead, Y-Track, etc on our new M3 and M4 drivers.

Here's the page on the website:

M3 & M4 Drivers w/TwistFace

And here's the press release if you'd like to get into detail:

M3 & M4 metalwoods press release

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Twist Face seems so obvious. On a lot of the courses I play, the roughs are only watered by overspray from the fairway sprinklers, so the thickest rough can be just off the edge of the fairway. I drove it great last year with my M2 (70% FW), but bringing the ball back a few yards towards center on misses will reap big benefits.

Have played M2 the past two seasons, but the M3 and the Y-Track is intriguing.

0 Kudos
Han_Solo
New Contributor

As someone who suffers from missing more fairways than I should at my skill level, I'm really stoked.  A few more fairways a round or missing just off the fairway versus missing wide would go a long ways in making a huge difference in my game.

0 Kudos
M127c
Contributor

My first reaction to the M3 and M4 drivers are all of TM pros reaction in one feeling. Seems so brilliant now that it is right in front of us. The tech behind these clubs are second to none. Cannot wait to get one in hand and see what these can do for my game. Still gaming the '16 M2 and as great as this club is, I know for sure I can benefit from the new tech in these clubs.

Can't wait to see whats in store for the Lucky 8 that get to go get fit for these at the Kingdom. That will be such a great experience and awesome how TaylorMade and GolfWRX give back this way.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
3JackPar
Occasional Contributor

Twist Face seems to be the element that would offer the biggest performance difference. It's an interesting concept, and I'll be curious to see how much real-world difference it makes on off-center strikes. The biggest reason I have played Ping and now the Callaway Epic drivers in recent years that they seem to minimize my misses and help to at least keep them in play.  TaylorMade drivers haven't been as good for me in terms of dispersion, so I'd be interested to see if this translates into big gains in accuracy.

I'm more skeptical about whether Hammerhead will do much that the slot technology in previous driver models didn't accomplish. I'm a realist about driver technology, and I don't think there's much more that can be done to elevate ball speeds, though I appreciate efforts to do that on less than perfect strikes. 

The Y Track doesn't seem like a major advancement -- it allows for a more forgiving setting, if you set the weights all the way back, I guess, but there's only so much you can affect with 22 grams of head weight. To me, the head weight adjustments are good final fine-tuning elements, but that's about it.

0 Kudos
Seaghan
Contributor
I'm excited to try these as my driver often gets me into trouble. More help off the tee and minimizing my misses would help me bring my scores down. I definitely will be demoing these!
0 Kudos
TK3309
Contributor

As many have stated it's hard not to be impressed/excited by the new Face Twist Technology.  Any type of technology that is going to help you hit it straighter and even find one more fairway a round is huge. In hindsight it seems like a no brainer with this technology like Rory said in the video. What I'm most pleased with is the M3/M4 implemented the new Face Twist Technology while keeping what was successful with the M1/M2 line. The last two years those drivers have been the hottest on the market and everyone knows when you have a TaylorMade driver with the distinct crown. TaylorMade appears to have taken a great thing with the M1/M2 and made it just that much better with the M3/M4 while keeping the same look/feel. I think the grey on the crown instead of the white is looking better each day too.

0 Kudos
KCLeo12
New Contributor

Really like the new Y track seems to be a better way to increase adjustability and increase MOI. I like that the focus is on accuracy now instead of distance. The drivers have been maxed out for years.

0 Kudos
jokerusn
New Contributor

My reaction at first sight was "this is going to need to be something exceptional to kick out my gamer."  I'm playing a 2017 M1 460 and, while it isn't the longest driver I've ever owned, it's the longest most consistent driver I've ever owned.  Some of my past drivers were longer but extremely unforgiving.  The M1 has been super long but also super forgiving so even my misses are more playable and longer than any driver I've owned ever.  

After reading a bit about the new tech, twist face and hammerhead, I'm very excited to try it.  My normal miss is toe side which ends up as a snap hook so anything to both keep the ball more in play as well as hit it farther when I miss is something I have to try.  It also doesn't hurt that the shape of the heads are pleasing to my eye and the face has some good depth to it.  

I'm really excited to give it a shot when the weather warms up here in the northeast.

0 Kudos
lagunatic
New Contributor

I'm a little concerned to see that Jon Rahm already experienced a cracked face at Kapalua (missed if it was the new driver or a new fairway).  I was ready to go get M4-fitted in late February, but thinking I may wait to see if this is more than a one-off issue.

0 Kudos