FIRST REACTIONS to new M3 and M4 drivers?

Regular Contributor

@lagunatic wrote:

I'm a little concerned to see that Jon Rahm already experienced a cracked face at Kapalua (missed if it was the new driver or a new fairway).  I was ready to go get M4-fitted in late February, but thinking I may wait to see if this is more than a one-off issue.

M4 seemed okay for DJ...

0 Kudos
dwebb58
Occasional Contributor

Wonder how the pros are able to work the ball with the twist face?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Twist Face helps them when they hit the ball off center. It won't have any impact on them shaping the ball as they don't rely on a mis-hit to hit a fade or a draw. They generally do that with their ball position / swing path.

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
dwebb58
Occasional Contributor

That makes sense, thanks for the insight!

0 Kudos
lagunatic
New Contributor

No doubt there! ... plus others had M3/M4's in play.  I will still likely pull the trigger early on with the M4, but it's just a bit concerning to see so many folks reporting issues with the M2 iron face then in the first tournament I'm watching in the new year seeing that. They're not alone - other brands have issues too.  Feels like TM just needs to tighten up on design/quality control a bit.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Not to be mean but if Luke Donald or Brian Harmon were to crack a face I would be concerned! With someone who swings as hard as Rahm I don’t think that’s that unusual. May have hit it higher on the face out of the rough. I would have no worries
0 Kudos
Highlighted
lagunatic
New Contributor

Don't disagree with your point on Rahm/Johnson's vs lesser pros and the stress they can impart.  Just saying there's too many instances of this happening and with many brands and I'm talking amateurs.   A friend has gone through two sets of new M2 irons cracking the face.  Shouldn't occur with irons or woods but in a blue moon or where the person has slammed clubs, hit rocks/roots, etc.  Still, that's not keeping me from giving the M4's a go.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sometimes early parts that are finished by hand can be over polished in the process resulting in a weak spot. This is fixed before production. Nothing to worry about....Rahm wasn't. He'll have a new one for next time.

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
bigswede18
Occasional Contributor

Planning on buying the M4 D type for sure.. Wondering if the stock Matrix X5 shaft is the exact same shaft as the 2017 version>> Anyone??

0 Kudos
Noodle3872
Occasional Contributor

Here are the numbers from hitting my TI M2 9.8°(true loft) against a M4 9.5° (retail demo head). I warmed up hitting a SW and then a 6i. The numbers below are from hitting minimum 20 drives switching drivers after 10 balls. It was a good day with the driver too. I think the loft on the M4 was lower than marked. 

M2 9.8° with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff and TP5 ball.

CHS Average: 100.0 mph
CHS High: 101.7 mph
CHS Low: 96.3 mph

Ball Speed Average: 145.0 mph
Ball Speed High: 147.7 mph
Ball Speed Low: 139.5 mph

Launch Angle Average: 15.0°
Launch Angle High: 17.3°
Launch Angle Low: 8.7°

Spin Average: 2223 rpm
Spin High: 2665 rpm
Spin Low: 1171 rpm

Peak Height Average: 38.5 yards
Peak Height High: 40 yards
Peak Height Low: 24 yards

Descent Angle Average: 36°
Descent Angle High: 42°
Descent Angle Low: 31°

Carry Yardage Average: 252.8 yards
Carry Yardage High: 264.0 yards
Carry Yardage Low: 238.2 yards.

M4 9.5° with Tensei Pro White 60 stiff and TP5 ball.

CHS Average: 100.1 mph
CHS High: 101.2 mph
CHS Low: 99.0 mph

Ball Speed Average: 145.0 mph
Ball Speed High: 146.0 mph
Ball Speed Low: 143.4 mph

Launch Angle Average: 13.6°
Launch Angle High: 14.5°
Launch Angle Low: 13.0°

Spin Average: 1941 rpm
Spin High: 2208 rpm
Spin Low: 1588 rpm