Looking to move into forged irons - P770 vs P760 vs P790

Super Contributor

I was just fit today for P790s and was told to go with X100 shaft. I’m a bit puzzled as I have never been playing X shafts. I had pretty optimal numbers with that setup on trackman. Only problem was my distance. I was around 20y longer with each iron over my current M2 Tours. I feel this will lead to gap issues at the bottom of the bag, and do not really want to add any more wedges to the bag.

Two years ago I was fit to M2 tour irons with KBS 105 C Tapers. Always liked those clubs, but figured after 2 years I’d get checked again.

I currently play a 770 PW in my set over the M2 and absolutely love it. Distance control and spin for me is perfect with the KBS FLT 120 S shaft. I was really ready to pull the trigger and get a full set of P770s, especially now with them at a discount. But P760 keep me from making that move.

Has anyone tested both and had to make a similar decision? This would be my first set of forged irons in a players cavity. I currently play to a 5.8 HDCP and do strike the ball well.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
drewcatc
Contributor

well I would love to tell you that you can get the 770s custom built at the discounted price, but sorry that is not the case.  I would one suggest a fitting for the new 760s to get the correct shaft, as the C taper 105 as that shaft doesn't fit with the 770 or 760, so you have to make an adjustment there.  the nice part of the 760 is the speedfoam for the added distance and forgiveness in the longer irons, and silid forged construction in the scoring clubs.  you get the best of both worlds there.  you are right in the handicap area we suggest online for them, and totally worth a shot htting them, better yet getting fit for them.

Drew

0 Kudos
drewcatc
Contributor

also for the 790 fitting what was your swing speed?  or what is your driver swing speed?  I played the 770 prior to getting the 790s, for me a great move since I play more than I practice, by a lot.  SO the added forgiveness was great for me.  I am a 9 handicap for reference.

I have had few issues with the spin and controling the ball with either club, but being a high spin type player that probably helps as well. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
My 7 iron SS is 92-93mph, and my driver SS is 108-110. I am typically also a high spin and launch player.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
drewcatc
Contributor

so you are "borderline" just on speed for the X flex shafts. but the spin and launch might be a reason those perfromed better for you.  the stiffer shaft will launch and spin less.  are you leaning one way other the other now?  P790s are of course the larger more forgiving of the 700 series, the 760 a little less forgiving over all and as they transition each club will be less forgiving so to speak than the 790 counterpart...

hope this helps some

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
The o my issue I had with the fitting for the P790s was the big increase in distance. I had all optimal numbers with the P790 DG 120 X100 setup, but was concerned that the 15-20y distance increase would lead to gaps at the bottom of the bag. I hit the P760 7i and liked it and the fitter said he could go either head for me but went to the P790 for the added forgiveness. The distance issue I listed is what is making me think I should go for P760, but I could be wrong.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
drewcatc
Contributor

I have the 790s like I said, I have not experienced any gapping isuses through the bag.  I did go with the AW from the 790s with that being one concern, the Milled Grind 54 and Hi Toe 58, and I have no issues with gapping.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor

This is good to hear, I was able to test a friend's P790s this week and noticed that the gapping on the low end was not too bad, even thought I saw some increases over my current gamer. I might need to play with the wedge setup if I choose the P790s over the P760s. The forgiveness is a great perk, but it seems the P760s over a good deal of forgiveness in a much more compact shape. I am really pushing for better accuracy over extra distance as an iron player for this season.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Coachmastiff
Occasional Contributor

I really enjoy my P790s!!! They feel great and I have not seen any gapping issues either.  I would like to just demo the P760s to see how they feel but I do not see myself getting rid of my 790s anytime soon.  No matter which set you end up with I am sure you will enjoy them and reap the benefits of using Taylormade equipment!!!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
The P790s felt great in my fitting. I’m considering a combo set of 760/790, or just going for the 760s straight out. I really like the 760s in the scoring irons.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos