M3 Driver..10.5 or 9.5 adjusted?

Highlighted
Spencermn1
New Contributor

I have historically played with a fade.  In an effort to neutralize it, I have played with draw biased clubs such as the 2017 M2 D Type.  My question is, "What is the difference in buying a 9.5 and adjusting up versus buying a 10.5?"  From what I have read, buying a 9.5 and adjusting the loft up and help close the face and buying a straight up 10.5 will keep the face square.  Is buying a 9.5 and adjusting better than a 10.5 if one is looking for help in closing the face at impact?

0 Kudos
Hlaloud
New Contributor
That could be a good option. A 9.5* head adjusted 1 notched towards higher will give you a 10.25* loft with 2* closed on the face.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Spencermn1 wrote:

I have historically played with a fade.  In an effort to neutralize it, I have played with draw biased clubs such as the 2017 M2 D Type.  My question is, "What is the difference in buying a 9.5 and adjusting up versus buying a 10.5?"  From what I have read, buying a 9.5 and adjusting the loft up and help close the face and buying a straight up 10.5 will keep the face square.  Is buying a 9.5 and adjusting better than a 10.5 if one is looking for help in closing the face at impact?

We need more information to help you out. When you say you hit a fade, does your ball primarily start left of the target and moves back right (a classic playable fade), or does the ball start right of target and move further right (a push fade/slice)? If your fade is the former, one where the ball starts left and fades back to the right, then you're likely already playing with a face that's closed to the target at impact and you wouldn't want to play with even more of a closed face.

The old myths about ball flight have been proven to be wrong. We now know that the face angle at impact accounts for ~80% of the initial start direction of the ball (assuming center contact). This means a classic, playable fade occurs with a face that is closed to target at impact and a club head path that is left of the face. So if you're looking to straighten this out, you wouldn't want to move the face farther left. At best, you'd just hit straight pulls. If your face gets left of the path, you'd hit pull draws/hooks.

On the other hand, if your primary shot is a ball that starts right of target and fades to the right, that means your path is to the right of the target and your club face is even farther right. In this scenario, closing the face angle would get the face angle closer to the path and help straighten out the fade, or could possibly even turn the shot into a slight push draw if the face angle moves left of the path.

So, figure out what your impact conditions are first. If you start the ball to the right, then buying a 9.5 and moving it to 10.5 would likely be beneficial.

0 Kudos
johnadam
New Contributor

hello,

Consider your swing speed. The lower your swing speed, the more you’ll benefit from a club with greater loft. A “Golf Digest” study of drivers with a variety of lofts concluded that players with average swing speeds will hit the ball farther with an 11-degree driver than a driver that’s lofted by 9 degrees.

Decide whether you need help getting the ball in the air. If your tee shot trajectory is too low, then choose a 10.5-degree driver rather than its 9.5-degree counterpart. All else being equal, you’ll hit the ball higher with a greater-lofted club.

Consider the weather. On windy days it’s better to hit the ball low than high. So if you own a 9.5-degree and a 10.5-degree driver, you may wish to put the less-lofted club in your bag on a windy day.

have a good day sir

0 Kudos
Spencermn1
New Contributor
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I must say that I went for a fitting this last week and now realize how big of a difference this makes. I ended up in an M4 D-Type and the 65 evenflow stiff. Played my first round with it yesterday and didn’t lose a drive left. It wasn’t perfect because I swing is far from it, but there really is something to getting fitted for the right driver for you.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here is the tuning manual for the M3 and M4 drivers, which shows the affects of adjusting the loft in relation to the opening and closing the face. Since the FCT sleeve is the same for all M Series drivers to date, I would expect this to be the same for 2017 M1 as well.

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/v1546611537954/manu...

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/v1546611537954/manu...

Untitled.jpg

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Pdipalma
Was it a 9 or 10.5?
0 Kudos