M3 crown issue.

Rnava22
Occasional Contributor

Just purchased an M3 driver yesterday.  Took it to the course today.  Post round I like to clean my irons and wipe down my driver.  I noticed something peculiar with the crown of my driver.  Along the outer edge where the gray meets the black composite I noticed it feels uneven if you run your finger along the edge clock wise.  It runs all the way to the first blue line on the outer egde than it becomes smooth.  Has anyone noticed this on their drivers?  Or is this just something odd with mine.  

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Do you have a photo of the edge in question? If I am thinking of the same thing you are describing, I have something similar going with my M3. I figured it was just the manufacturing process for it when mass producing the heads.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Rnava22
Occasional Contributor

I tried to get a good picture but its hard to focus in tight.  however if you run your fingernail from the middle to the edge you can definitely feel your fingernail stop right at the edge.  It doesnt seem to affect performance but just felt weird.  I was wondering if there were other drivers that felt the same.  Does yours feel similar?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Mine is on the back next to the two blue lines. Similar to what you are describing.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rnava22
Occasional Contributor

Mine starts at the toe edge where the gray meets the composite and stops right at the second blue line.  From then on its smooth off the edge.  

0 Kudos
Rnava22
Occasional Contributor

I will probably go back to the store tomorrow and check out the other drivers and see if that is the case with the rest.  I was concerned because I had an issue with my previous m1 driver.  The bottom of the driver cracked right where the weights slide toward the fade setting.  Taylormade took it back and sent me a new driver.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I've done some digging chatting with product folks and it is just how the carbon crown bonds to the "skeleton" of the driver. What you're feeling is excess lip which varies based on manufacturing. It will not affect the performance of the product and they are going to keep tabs on customer service to monitor the situation.

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Super Contributor

THanks for checking into that @Allan. I have noticed that the bonded edge is there on the back of the driver, but by the blue lines on the M3, it has a little more of a gap than the rest of the edge. You can only notice it if looking very close, but as with any mannufacturing procees, that is always variability.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Donbona
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I bought the M3 driver last week and I noticed the sound change after I hit it.. After I inspected the driver I noticed it had cracked open at the back (pics attached).

I have sent it back for investigation.

0 Kudos