M5 Driver Tour Issue 9.5?

TLTGolfmadness

This morning I saw a photo online of a 2019 M5 tour issue 460 driver head that was stamped 9.5 rather than 9.0.  Is it a fake or is there an actual 9.5 loft available?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Not sure what that would be in this case. The Tour Issue driver is 435cc only and only in 9* and 10.5*. Unless this is a tour only version of the club, it is not available at retail.

As far as the reasoning behind the loft differences this year on drivers compared to previous years, here is a response I got on my post in the M5/M6 thread from Tomo through Allan.

“Straight from our Senior Director of Metalwoods Product Creation, Tomo Bystedt:

For 2019 we took a fresh look at how we gap our lofts to optimize available lofts for the golfer. First of all, we kept the top end of the lofts the same with the 10.5 and 12.0 degree heads as that has been working well for us. On the lower end of the lofts, we have at times found that the 9.5 head was sometimes not low enough in terms of launch and spin for the stronger players so we lofted that down slightly to 9.0. Considering the fact that we have a ±2° Loft Sleeve in all our drivers, increasing the gaps between the heads from 1.0° to 1.5° is not an issue as there is still plenty of overlap in lofts between the 9.0 and 10.5 heads.

In the past few years we’ve seen minimal use of the 8.5 offerings in general and so with the new drivers spinning slightly less than the 2018 models, we opted to remove this loft. With the loft adjustability that we offer you can still get the driver all the way down to a 7.0° loft and all the way up to 14°, which is a very wide range, especially considering the differences in spin and launch between the M5 TOUR (lowest) and M6 D-TYPE (highest) drivers.“

Hope this helps.
MC

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@TLTGolfmadness wrote:

This morning I saw a photo online of a 2019 M5 tour issue 460 driver head that was stamped 9.5 rather than 9.0.  Is it a fake or is there an actual 9.5 loft available?

There is no 9.5 degree version of the M5 on the USGA List of Conforming Driver Heads. That is a strong indication the head in question is not legitimate.

0 Kudos