M5 & M6 Driver Community Member Reviews

Smartelgolf
New Contributor

M5 Driver Early Tester Review

About Myself

I am just 22 years old, I currently live and work in New Orleans, LA. I am a scratch golfer, but getting off the tee has always been the weakest part of my game. I have always used hand me down drivers from my father, so I was excited to finally get a brand new driver thanks to TaylorMade. I was previously playing the Callaway Epic SubZero, 10.5 degree. The Epic had a nice sweetspot, but when I missed the center of the face I had no clue where the ball would end up. 

First Impression

The first thing I noticed when I saw the M5 was the matte black finish on the top of the club, it wasn't a shiny finish like the drivers I had used in the past. I also noticed that the sweet spot on the driver was wider than my previous one, and clearly marked with a dotted white line that you can't miss when looking down on the club. The M5 also comes with adjustment settings for fade/ draw as well as high/ low ball flight.

Performance

The M5 (10.5 ) is unlike any driver I have ever used. The Twist Face technology works as advertised. I have played four rounds with it now, and I have noticed that when I hit the ball low on the face, or off of the toe/heel, the ball still gets about 90% of the distance that I would get from hitting the center of the face. I hit a few toe balls (by accident) and they still get over 250y, while my usual drive ends up between 260y and 270y. The consistency with the distance is quite remarkable. 

I also noticed that I carry the ball much farther. I gained about 15 yards of carry vs. the Epic. Since I play in New Orleans and everything is a swamp this time of year, I still cannot comment on how the ball rolls out, but my ball flight is much higher (which I needed) and is much more consistent. 

As far as using the adjustable weights go, they can help just a little bit. I would consider them a band aid, not a permanent fix. It is helpful to use them, perhaps if the wind is blowing all day you lower the ball flight, or if you hit a big slice it can help turn it into just a fade. I would not expect the adjustments to turn your snap hook into a straight flighted ball, but they certainly help.

Sound & Feel

The M5 is not going to echo throughout the entire course. It makes a compact sound no matter where it hits on the face, which is nice if you ask me. When the ball is struck, it always feels like you made good contact. Sure, I can still feel where it hit on the face, but it isn't nearly as responsive as my previous driver. I like this feeling becuase it never really feels like I miss the center by much, and I think this is due to the twist face along with the wider sweet spot. 

Final Thoughts

I truly believe this driver can help any player improve their driving accuracy while potentially adding distance. The twist face technology really does work, and the injected speed can help carry the ball farther no matter where it hits on the face. If you really struggle keeping the driver in play off the tee, this club has the potential to really help your game. 

Mumps
New Contributor

I am still waiting on my driver, any update would be appreciated!  Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Nytmare
New Contributor

Hello everyone

I just received my M5 driver and M5 3 wood. Is there any manual of how to adjust the clubs. I see a M4 and M3 manual on this site but nothing for the M5 series ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
I have not seen it on the site as of yet. It should be similar to the manual for the M3/M4, but the weight shift is more tuneable with the M5 over the M3.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
ejcrossl
Occasional Contributor

I called them and said it is the same as the M3.  There isn't an M5 specific manual.  Hope this helps

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Refer to this thread to get in touch with Steve to get a copy of the M5 manual.

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Equipment/M5-Manual/m-p/6985

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
abbishop

I just bought my M5 Tour in May; played about 10 rounds this summer, and then noticed a weird sound at contact, as well as something 'loose' in the clubhead.  Upon closer inspection, there was a hole punctured on the top of my club head.  I was shocked and could not figure out how that happened.

Then I noticed the puncture is the same exact size of the pointed tip of the alignment stick that I use.  Apparently the alignment stick was stuck in my bag - likely in the trunk of my small car - and somehow jammed into the head of my M5.

Anyway - I don't think this is covered by TM's warranty (!) and I can't really afford another $600 driver.  Anybody have any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos