M5 & M6 Drivers Official Thread

Regular Contributor

Straight from our Senior Director of Metalwoods Product Creation, Tomo Bystedt: 

For 2019 we took a fresh look at how we gap our lofts to optimize available lofts for the golfer. First of all, we kept the top end of the lofts the same with the 10.5 and 12.0 degree heads as that has been working well for us. On the lower end of the lofts, we have at times found that the 9.5 head was sometimes not low enough in terms of launch and spin for the stronger players so we lofted that down slightly to 9.0. Considering the fact that we have a ±2° Loft Sleeve in all our drivers, increasing the gaps between the heads from 1.0° to 1.5° is not an issue as there is still plenty of overlap in lofts between the 9.0 and 10.5 heads.

In the past few years we’ve seen minimal use of the 8.5 offerings in general and so with the new drivers spinning slightly less than the 2018 models, we opted to remove this loft. With the loft adjustability that we offer you can still get the driver all the way down to a 7.0° loft and all the way up to 14°, which is a very wide range, especially considering the differences in spin and launch between the M5 TOUR (lowest) and M6 D-TYPE (highest) drivers.

As for the 0.25” increase in length of the shaft on M5 vs M3, this was based on feedback from the fitters out in the field and our Sports Marketing team. The 45.75” lengths we’ve been using in M2 and M4 drivers have worked very well for the majority of players so we felt it was better to offer matching lengths in the two drivers to allow for more seamless fittings between the different heads. It’s also easier for our players out on Tour to test and fit drivers if they can use the same exact shaft for each head to get a better apples-to-apples comparison.

The loft sleeve itself is the same as last year and offer the same loft increments as before.

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

@Allan thanks for the info here! 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

@Allan - Thank you for getting this information from the man himself, Tomo.

Great information here on the reasons why the lofts were changed this year. I figured it had to have something to do with redundancy in the loft ranges with the adjustable sleeve, coupled with useage (or lack of  for 8.5*) as well as the new head spinning lower. Inventory is expensive, so it makes total sense to not carry that cost for the minority who want the 8.5* head.

#TeamTaylorMade
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

@MCGolfTM you know we're not the RORS of the world who can play those low lofts! LOL 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

And actually, Rory went with the M5 9* head this year and adjusted down to get optimal flight.

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/TOUR-REPORT-2019-M5-amp-M6-DRIVERS-DEBUT-AT-KAPALUA/ba-...

#TeamTaylorMade
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

Oh wow, great to know that! 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
- Will the tolerances remain the same in M5/M6 for lofts from head to head of the same marked lofts? Injecting resin behind the face fine tunes the face, but has there been any improvement of loft angle between one head and the next? Perhaps this could be the next venture TM peruses now that they have a process to dial in an maximize ball speed.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Doug
Hi, I'm interested in your M5 M6 early testing.

I currently play the latest M2 10.5 head turned down to 10. I have a OBAN Kiyoshi shaft SO5flex-65 grams. Was fit for it in your Taylor made set up in Edwin Watts in Orlando. Most of my testing and practice is down at OCN with Lyndon or at Championsgate with a buddy who is a pro. I would be great for the early testing because I planned on getting a new driver a combo this year. Because I just got new 730 irons with new milled and hitoe wedges 5 months ago. Which I love! So I planned on testing new drivers to see what would be best for me.
I'm very tall 6'5 with oversized grips and a baseball background hitting the golf ball a long way. As I try to compete in mini tours in this amazing game. And having testing and club from the best would help so much! Thank you.
0 Kudos
Donk

TM m3 9.5 tensei pro white 70tx
I play golf about 3-4 times a week, love the game and tryin like heck to improve. Id say driving the ball is the strength of my game. Ive had every TM driver starting with the SLDR, and update every year. Id love to try one of these out and provide my feedback. Hopefully im a lucky dude!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
rbauchman
Contributor

A great behind the scenes look at the launch...thanks @Allan@jll62 and @TK3309! And thanks for the chance to be one of the first testers. Looking forward to more insight on these revolutionary drivers.