Milled Grind Wedges - Spin Question

BL
Contributor

After playing with the Milled Grind wedges for a couple months, I've noticed that my spin is way down compared to the EF wedges I had previously and the ATVs I had before those. 

I'm not sure if it's a product of the grooves, or maybe it's the new TP5X (I played the Tour Preferred X before the TP5), but spin from 100 yards and in is noticeably down, if I had to estimate, by at least 25%.  

It's not a bad thing for softer greens, but on hard/fast greens, I've found it to pose a bit of an issue.  

Anyone else had the same experience? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You definitely wouldn't see any drop off in spin going to MG + TP5 from EF + TP. If anything you should be getting more spin. Any adjustments in your swing? Perhaps as summer heat pours in the playing conditions are getting firmer and tougher to hold?

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

I'm thinking it's got to be the TP5X balls.  

Only played a couple rounds with the TP5 and the EFs before switching to the MGs.  I figured the reduced spin off the EFs was due to the grooves being worn.   

No real swing changes, and I've played on a variety of greens (played in the northeast a couple weeks ago with some soft, fast greens, where you'd see signinfacant spin).  

I'll try out the TP5 this weekend and report back.   Or maybe I'll try the Tour Preferred X again.   

0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

Tried the TP5 instead of the TP5X this past weekend... It's the ball.  The TP5 spins more.  All around.   Liked the spin with the wedges, didn't like it with the rest of the bag.   Guess there's a choice to be made.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You're going to notice less spin on both balls with longer clubs and full swings. That's part of why it goes so high and a bit further. The height should help you hold greens. Interesting feedback though, haven't heard this from anyone else. 

I suppose there is a chance its not the ball for everyone. What's your handicap? 

0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

Played two more rounds with the TP5 and MGs and another with the TP5x and MGs... Same findings. 

Handicap is currently +0.1.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Really interesting. Maybe @jll62 could add some insights as a better player. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I had similar results inside 100 yards when I compared the TP5 and TP5X side-by-side. I ended up chosing the TP5 in part because I liked the increased spin on full and half wedges. I know both balls are touted as having a lot of spin off the wedges, but for me there was a noticeable difference between the two balls.

Where I differ from your results is that I didn't find the TP5 to have much more spin on full shots throughout the bag compared to TP5X. Sure, there was a marginal increase on mid and long iron shots when I tested on a launch monitor, but it never manifested itself in a noticeable way on the course during normal play. Driver spun only slightly higher, as well, but it was actually a better fit for me than TP5X. I could play either ball, but I went with the TP5 because of the feel around the greens and the performance off the wedges.

Are you generally a higher spin player with your mid and long irons? Is there any way for you to do some testing of both balls on a launch monitor? To be honest, I would be surprised if there was a large difference between the balls on full shots, but anything is possible for an individual's unique launch conditions. What I found early on before LM testing is that the softer feel of the TP5 (both from the cover and the softer variable compression) made me think the ball was spinning more on full shots. In reality, that wasn't the case.

0 Kudos