My Jason Day Putters

Regular Contributor

Since it's WGC Match Play week, I thought this would be a good time to share two of my favorite clubs: replicas of the putters Jason Day used to win both of his WGC Match Play titles. I don't consider either of these collectors pieces since I've gamed them both, but they're fun pieces of memorabilia for a big Jason Day fan to own.

The first putter is a replica of the MC72 Jason used to win the 2014 WGC Match Play. There were 23 of these made in the Ghost Lab and I was fortunate enough to snag one. The main differences between this putter and Jason's gamer is that his had the sight line on the flange welded over and smoothed, and he had DASH engraved on the bottom. Other than that they're spot on copies. It even has the green/gold Ghost grip Jason was using at the time which was a favorite, but very hard to get.

JDay MC72.JPG

The second putter should need no introduction. It's the all black Itsy Bitsy Proto that he famously switched to in mid-2015* right before going on his amazing run. This putter is one of the 20 made in the Ghost Lab and released after his victory at the 2015 PGA Championship (watch the "making of" video that was put together by @Orrrie. So cool!). Although he switched to a red Spider in 2016, he was still using the black Itsy Bitsy when he won the 2016 Match Play. Some of these were resold for a lot of money after the limited release, but I put mine in the bag immediately. It is quite literally my dream gamer and I felt very fortunate to acquire one. 

IB-collage.jpg

*Incidentally, the putter he had been using in the first part of 2015 before switching to the black Itsy Bitsy was a white Itsy Bitsy proto. He used this putter in 2013 and again in late 2014 into 2015. Since it was never released, not even as a limited item, there's essentially no chance of the average guy ever getting ahold of one. So naturally that makes it my Holy Grail putter. It would be a cool piece to have.

Frequent Contributor

@jll62 wrote:

Since it's WGC Match Play week, I thought this would be a good time to share two of my favorite clubs: replicas of the putters Jason Day used to win both of his WGC Match Play titles. I don't consider either of these collectors pieces since I've gamed them both, but they're fun pieces of memorabilia for a big Jason Day fan to own.

The first putter is a replica of the MC72 Jason used to win the 2014 WGC Match Play. There were 23 of these made in the Ghost Lab and I was fortunate enough to snag one. The main differences between this putter and Jason's gamer is that his had the sight line on the flange welded over and smoothed, and he had DASH engraved on the bottom. Other than that they're spot on copies. It even has the green/gold Ghost grip Jason was using at the time which was a favorite, but very hard to get.

JDay MC72.JPG

The second putter should need no introduction. It's the all black Itsy Bitsy Proto that he famously switched to in mid-2015* right before going on his amazing run. This putter is one of the 20 made in the Ghost Lab and released after his victory at the 2015 PGA Championship (watch the "making of" video that was put together by @Orrrie. So cool!). Although he switched to a red Spider in 2016, he was still using the black Itsy Bitsy when he won the 2016 Match Play. Some of these were resold for a lot of money after the limited release, but I put mine in the bag immediately. It is quite literally my dream gamer and I felt very fortunate to acquire one. 

IB-collage.jpg

*Incidentally, the putter he had been using in the first part of 2015 before switching to the black Itsy Bitsy was a white Itsy Bitsy proto. He used this putter in 2013 and again in late 2014 into 2015. Since it was never released, not even as a limited item, there's essentially no chance of the average guy ever getting ahold of one. So naturally that makes it my Holy Grail putter. It would be a cool piece to have.

So cool! I think that the first one is reason you and I started texting back and forth. Great collection.

drbrianmann
Contributor

This is awesome. I am seriously leaning towards getting a Spider. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Those are awesome putters.. I keep toying with the idea of getting am itsy bitsy spider myself!

0 Kudos
Lenstras95

The red spider looks amazing, the black one too. Haven't had the chance to test one out yet, but I have to when i get the oppurtunity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ImVinnie
New Contributor

I modified mine a bit. Helps me tremendously! 

Spider.jpg

http://www.break79.com
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@ImVinnie wrote:

I modified mine a bit. Helps me tremendously! 

Spider.jpg

Looks good. I occasionally use a thin white strip of tape when I'm practicing to make sure my face alignment hasn't gotten out of whack.

0 Kudos
DennisMiller
Contributor

The line on top looks right. I'm not sure how they made such a big headed putter without a line, but you fixed what ails it.

My Spider is an older white model that originally had the line on it.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@DennisMiller wrote:

The line on top looks right. I'm not sure how they made such a big headed putter without a line, but you fixed what ails it.

My Spider is an older white model that originally had the line on it.

It's very much a personal preference. I can't putt with a long sight line because it messes with my head. I have a decent arc in my stroke and the line just doesn't fit my eye and what I'm attempting to do.

When I put a strip of tape on my putter during practice, it's sole purpose is to double check face alignment in relation to the line on my ball.

0 Kudos