MySpiderX vs Spider Tour Black

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Picture

With my custom MySpiderX putter arriving this week, I took to the course to test the feel and performance between my Spider Tour Black gamer. ​The Spider Tour has been in the bag for the past two years, and it has been an outstanding putter for me. Can the MySpiderX outperform the Spider Tour? Lets find out.

Take a look at my previous reviews of the design process and the in-hand unpackaging below.

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Equipment/Review-Designing-My-Custom-TaylorMade-MySpiderX-Pu...

ALIGNMENT
My Spider Tour has a custom black sightline that I added at the end of last season. Originally, I liked the Tour with no sightline as it helped me focus on the ball line instead of the putter crown. Eventually I got to the point where I really felt a subtle sightline would be beneficial, especially for short pressure putts. I saw huge improvement in my putting game since adding the line, and never looked back. With the MySpiderX, I chose to add the True Alignment technology to help increase my aim even further than my Spider Tour. Now, compared to the custom Spider Tour sightline, the True Path Alignment is nowhere near subtle next to the Midnight Blue body, but that is the point. Having the contrast between the alignment aid, and the body make it incredibly easy to envision the line I intended to put the ball on. Using this technology is a game changer for me, as it allows for much better focus on the path, as well as the concentration on the stroke through impact.

PURE ROLL INSERT
The 5mm thick aluminum insert in the SpiderX, for me, had a slightly different feel than the 3mm surlyn insert in the Spider Tour. There was difficulty telling the difference, in terms of feel, between both inserts from 10 ft and out. Both inserts were very soft, responsive, and provided great feedback on off center strikes. The more prominent difference between the inserts came from 10 ft and in. The Pure Roll insert in the Spider Tour has a better feel, provided more feedback, and had a better sound for me. This was just a personal preference, and also the fact that I have been used to the Spider Tour for the last 2 seasons. The MySpiderX Pure Roll insert was by no means bad, but I feel I will need a little more time to adjust to this insert. This insert reminded me in looks, feel, and feedback of the Spider Limited putter (red/black) I gamed before the Spider Tour.

DISTANCE CONTROL
Both putters had very similar distance control, and I found I was able to easily switch back and forth between each putter and still achieve the same control with the same putting stroke. With the improvements to the Pure Roll insert in the MySpiderX, I was expecting a small increase in distance due getting the ball starting to roll faster, but both the surlyn and aluminum inserts were very similar for control.

STABILITY AND FEEL
When concentrating on the head stability, I found the MySpiderX to be slightly more stable when starting the putting stroke from address. This is due in part to the improved 36 percent weight on the outside of the body on the MySpiderX compared to 30 percent on the Spider Tour. It may be a small change, but it was certainly noticeable when starting the putting stroke. I have struggled in the past, with previous putters, with starting the putting stroke. The Spider Tour has helped this tremendously, and the few times I start the putting stroke and the putter drifts, I stop and re-address the ball. If found that the MySpiderX did perform even better than the Spider Tour in this aspect during testing.

Feel between the MySpiderX and the Spider Tour were similar as far as the stroke is concerned. When taking practice strokes, the putters feel almost identical. This made for a very easy transition into the MySpiderX as I did not feel a major difference between the head designs.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Testing between the MySpiderX and Spider Tour putters showed many similarities, as well as some improvements. The biggest improvements I found with the MySpiderX was the addition of the True Path Alignment technology, and increased stability when starting the putting stroke. These improvements alone warrant a bag change, and further on-course testing will continue in the coming weeks to make the final decision.

If you are in the market for a new putter, or are interested in the MySpiderX or SpiderX, do not miss a chance to test and compare. Many new technologies in this putter iteration are sure to benefit players of all levels. 

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice write up, @MCGolfTM. Interesting to hear how the MySpider X has helped with your takeaway. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Thanks @SteveBreazeale, SpiderX is coming off the bench for first league match tonight. Been shy to make a switch for league night, but the testing is done and SpiderX will be in play. Will update tonight after the round and let you know how it goes.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Tonight was the first night I used the MySpiderX in league match play over the Spider Tour black. For some reason, the course decided to put sand all over the greens, even though they did not aerate. This was a move we were all puzzled by in the league, but its safe to say that the greens were not rolling well tonight. This certainly had an effect on putting performance. Keeping that in mind, the round with the MySpiderX went very well. I am quite superstitious when it comes to the flat stick, so this was a big change in a pressure match.

The true path alignment was absolutely fantastic. As the marketing graphic shows, I could trace out a white path to the inteded line and the hole with my eyes. I have noticed this during the testing, but even more so tonight. With the ease of alignment, I knew I was putting in the intended line and freeded my mind up to focus on the speed control.

The pure roll insert is great just as the Spider Tour black. I would say the feel is slightly softer on the 80/20 surlyn/metal insert on the MySpiderX. The insert got the ball rolling very well right off the bat, and distance control was very good.

Weighting of the putter felt a little off tonight, but I chaulk that up to being used to the Spider Tour after 2 years in the bag. As the round progressed, it felt even more comfortable. I may mess with the weights to see if I can get a slightly different feel. The other main difference between the putters is the Superstroke grip with counter core weight in the Spider Tour Black. I may make a grip change in the future as well.

Overall, I am very happy with the MySpiderX and will continue to keep it in play. It has many great improvements over the Spider Tour that can benefits all golfers.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Since my last post, I have make the grip change I was thinking about as I felt the weight and swing felt a little off. This feeling was especially true on the short putts. I put the SS GT Tour with 25g Counter Core in, same as my Spider Tour. It was amazing how the feel came right back to what I expect. Gamed it with great results over the past 2 weeks, and could not miss from inside 15ft in a scramble tournament yesterday. We ended up winning at -11. I am very happy with the performance gains from the SpiderX over the Tour. The stroke is the same, and I am very confident with both, but the alignment is a true game changer for me. It has taken all doubt out of the alignment for me.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I’ve been having continued success with the MySpiderX since bagging it full time. I have struggled to convert my eagle chances all season, and last night I put in my second one in 2 weeks. Both eagles cane with the SpiderX and I credit it all to the alignment. I have been putting great strokes on ever putt, but with the added confidence of the True Path, I feel like I cannot miss. It’s is a very refreshing confidence to take to each green, and cannot be happier with the putter.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Yesterday, I had a pretty rough day putting. Biggest problem I had was keeping the face square at impact. I rarely have this problem and I just wasn’t grooving the stroke. I am chalking it up to a bad day and expect to bounce back next time out. I’ve been having great success with the SpiderX but when I couldn’t stop shutting the face too far at impact, nothing much could have helped me.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos