@Ndisanti44 M5 Tester Review

Ndisanti44
Occasional Contributor

Current driver setup: Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* Hzdrous T800 6.0. I mostly enjoyed this driver, however the things that I didn't necessesarly enjoy were the feel and performance on mi**bleep**s, the really high spin, as well as the overall shaft performance.  In a new driver, I am looking for a better ball flight through better shaft performance, lower spin, better feel and performance on off center strikes, and something that looks really good behind the ball.

I'd like the prefece the review by saying thank you to Taylormade and specefically @Allan for choosing me as well as providing great help and feedback in choosing the best driver for me.  I would love to continue to test products and provide feedback to the community in the future. I have never hit Taylormade clubs before this M5, but am now full #TeamTaylormade.

1. Looks
  • The looks of the M5 are absolutly stunning.  The matte carbon black finish is a much more refined look than what the rest of the market is doing.  I also believe it will be more durable. The small color contrast was an adjustment at first, however after a few swings I fell in love with the look at address. While all drivers have alignment aids, this set up seemed to suit my eye well.
  •      2.Sound/Feel
  • The sound of the M5 is very enjoyable.  It is not very loud at all, but provides a nice carbon fiber inspired thwack.  Compared to my current driver, it is a much more satisfying crack instead of my current thud. The feel of the M5 was what made me instantly fall in love with it.  None of us here are professional ball strikers, so having solid feel on off center hits is really important to me, especially with driver. The M5 blew me away.  While trying to dial in the weights, I was finding all differnt points on the face. I've never felt anything hotter than when I middled this driver.  The heel and toe strikes also felt like solid contact and had the distance to back it up.
  •       3. Performance
  • I on average gained 8 yards of distance, and 2 MPH of ball speed via Trackman. Middling this driver resulted in a 20 yard distance gain over my current driver. The combination of low spin, a better launch and faster ball speeds are a deadly combination. Poor strikes carried just as far as a decent strike in my current driver. I am overall very impressed.  I will say that I am using the imense adjutabilty of M5 to still get dialed in, and would love to see a proper fitter to ensure that I am really getting the most out of this new beast. 
  • Overall, I am blown away of the performance of this driver. It doesn't sound loud or tinny, and has a fantastic feel.  The Hzrdous smoke shaft provides a nice penetrating ball flight and the twist face does really work.  While everything truly does come down to user input, it is in my best belief that this club helps me make the best golf shots I can make. I would recomend 10/10 for everyone to go out and hit these new drivers!
andrewtchau
Occasional Contributor

very nice!

did you go with the 9* head or 10.5?

0 Kudos
Ndisanti44
Occasional Contributor

I went with the 9* head,  and am even playing around with turning it down to open the face a bit. Loving the immense adjustability!

Regular Contributor
What were your spin and launch numbers on trackman?

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Ndisanti44
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great feedback, Nick! I think we're seeing eye to eye on the M5. I'm playing it as well over the M6 for a lot of the reasons you mentioned above. My favorite aspect of the M5 is the sound and feel. The ball just feels like it stays on the face forever. To me, it's a little more muted and solid feeling in comparison to the M6 which, to me, seems louder and "springy" (always feel like I'm describing wine with all the made-up words to describe a clubs feel). 

Also love the adjustability. As a guy that bounces between a 7-11 handicap, my swing's all over the place so it's nice to be able to tinker around with things get wonky. I also feel like the adjustability is more important with the lower spinning M5 head. M6 always seems to work for me, but also think that's the case because it has a couple hundred revs more. 

Anyway, glad you like it!

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Ndisanti44
Occasional Contributor

I wanted to give an update on the driver....Wow!  Look, sound, and feel are just incredible. I have fallen in love with this club.  After testing some of the other products out this year, this by far has the best look sound and feel. I feel like I am pretty dailed in, launching around 12 degrees, spinning around 2300, carrying around 260, getting some to roll out 280! Test (and buy!) this driver!  #TeamTaylormade

0 Kudos
Ndisanti44
Occasional Contributor

Another update after a few solid rounds outside. This driver continues to impress! I had it even more custom fit by my local pro, (shaft cut to 44.5", playing up to 10.5 degrees, weights in fade and higher sping setting for better control on poor strikes) and I am loving the performance.  The ballflight window is much more penetrating with the hzrdus smoke shaft, and my left miss is almost non exsistant. Through some minor swing changes, I have even been able to get a baby cut. Overall, the adjustability has been quintisential for my early season swing tweaks, allowing me to really get the most out of my t-shots possible. Also LOVE the sound of a squared up drive. Sounds better than anything out there IMO!

0 Kudos