New P·760 Irons

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm really excited about this concept as someone who typically makes a combo set of forged short irons and more forgiving long irons. I was a little worried there would be a difference in sound and feel from the solid construction short irons (8-Gap) and the hollow constructed long irons (3-7), but the team did a phenomenal job making it a seamless transition. Still, need to take them out on the course to give a proper personal review though!

Initial thoughts? If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them or track down the right person here at HQ and relay their response. 

Here are a couple additional looks including a shot of the top line. 

_DM30623.jpg_DM30620.jpg_DM30645.jpg_DM30660.jpg_DM30662.jpg

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I thought the P·750 and P·770 aesthetic was quintessential TaylorMade and harkened back to some of the great irons of TaylorMade's past. From that lens, the P·760 look has taken me some time to get used to, but they're growing on me more every day. The product shots you posted look amazing.

1) I have the same concerns about the transition from 7-8 iron in combo sets. The 7-irons often perform great, but the short irons feel like a different set from a feel and performance perspective. How has this been addressed in P·760 to ensure the set blends well? I've done combo sets in the past with 3-6 and 7-PW to avoid this issue, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the 7-8 transition in P·760.

2) P·770 and P·750 had a tapered face thickness construction that contributed to their great feel, especially in the short irons. Does P·760 have a similar construction in the 8-PW?

3) Progressive sets like this often require testing heads at different points within the set to determine fit and playability (e.g., 3-iron, 6-iron, 9-iron). Do you know if any retail fitters will have multiple heads available to test, or will there only be standard fitting cart options with a single loft head to demo? If the latter, it may be difficult to gauge the performance of this blended set from just one loft due to the different construction of each iron in the set.

0 Kudos
TK3309
Contributor

I wasn't impressed initially by the computer generated images but once real photos and videos have been shown I've really started to like the look of the P760 irons. I went to my local shop on Tuesday and the P760s weren't in yet but I'm going to stop by tomorrow and give them a test. I think it's a no brainer decision to have a progressive players set though. It just makes sense for sratch and single digit handicappers. Players irons in the scoring irons but we can all use the help in the long irons. I always float between a 0 to a +2 handicap and I've played multiple sets of combo irons and I typically play my best with them.

I currently have a full set of P770s but since getting the P770s I have been looking for P750s in the lower irons. Typically in a combo set I go players iron through the 6 or 7 iron so the biggest thing for me is testing the 6 and 7 iron with speed foam as mentioned above. I view the 7 iron as a scoring club and I'm wondering what flight/distance differences we'll see between those irons and the PW - 8 iron and if there are gapping issues. I've read some complaints the the offset is too much in the long irons but the P760 offset is less than the P770 and P790 so I can't see it being an issue. I use the P790 in the 3 iron and think it looks very good at address. I'm also particular in my sets about what the PW looks like because it is go my go to scoring club and will use it a bit around the greens. Sounds like that is a P750 and even close to a P730 look which would be awesome.

All in all the more I read/watch videos about these irons the more excited I am to give these a test. It'll be fun to see if they will out perform my P770s because on paper the P760s are everything I should have in an iron and the P770s have treated me very well. I should have more input tomorrow once I see them in person. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I met up with @TK3309 at our local PGA Tour Superstore to see if they had the P·760 in their custom fitting area, but they weren't there yet. Bummer...we were both excited to check them out.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's the direct response from our Irons Product Category Senior Manager, Matt Bovee:

1) We do extensive sound testing which translates heavily to feel. We obsess over the frequencies produced by the shorter forged irons and then dial in the longer hollow irons with multiple variables like materials, material thickness, speedfoam, etc till it syncs up to a point where the difference is indistinguishable by humans. 

2) The “tapered” face thickness on the P770 and P750 is inherent in an MC iron design for CG placement. The location of head mass in the P750 and P770 does play a significant role in the feel of these irons. The P760 utilizes a hollow body construction which is different by nature to promote additional forgiveness through mass distribution. The P760 face thickness does taper, with the thickest portion of the face located at the sweet spot and tapering thinner radially from center face. This tapering is due to our Inverted Cone Technology used to maximize COR across the face. The P760 also uses SpeedFoam produce the sound and feel of an MC in a hollow body construction.

3) Very true! We would encourage golfer to try a short, mid, and long iron of the P760 if possible at their local retailer. Select Fit carts will be limited to a single loft with different lie options, but MANY retailers opt to keep a demo set of clubs available for consumers to test out with the stock shaft.

Regular Contributor

Excellent. Thanks, Allan!

My only other question: Why is TM enticing me to buy new clubs at the same time as courses around me are closing for the season??? Smiley Indifferent Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

So you can salivate over them all winter, of course. 

0 Kudos
Buntysharma

@Allan wrote:

I'm really excited about this concept as someone who typically makes a combo set of forged short irons and more forgiving long irons. I was a little worried there would be a difference in sound and feel from the solid construction short irons (8-Gap) and the hollow constructed long irons (3-7), but the team did a phenomenal job making it a seamless transition. Still, need to take them out on the course to give a proper personal review though!

Initial thoughts? If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them or track down the right person here at HQ and relay their response. 

Here are a couple additional looks including a shot of the top line. 

_DM30623.jpg_DM30620.jpg_DM30645.jpg_DM30660.jpg_DM30662.jpg

I just googled "P790 face cave" and found nothing. I've played over a hundred rounds plus many sessions hitting into a net with my P790s and my faces haven't caved. I'm far from a TM fanboy but I love my P790s.

0 Kudos