P790 Irons or the new M3 Irons

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GolfBaller13
New Contributor

Currently I have been set on getting a set of the P790 irons, been saving up for them. Now I see that they are releasing the new M3 irons, which are several hundred dollars cheaper than the P790s.

What is the major difference between the 2 models? Are the P790s worth the higher price? Or are the M3s a better budget way to go? Any information or ideas would be most helpul.

I have hit the P790s at the local store, but have yet to hit the M3s.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@GolfBaller13wrote:

Currently I have been set on getting a set of the P790 irons, been saving up for them. Now I see that they are releasing the new M3 irons, which are several hundred dollars cheaper than the P790s.

What is the major difference between the 2 models? Are the P790s worth the higher price? Or are the M3s a better budget way to go? Any information or ideas would be most helpul.

I have hit the P790s at the local store, but have yet to hit the M3s.

Well, the easy thing to do is to get both! But seriously, the simpliest way to narrow it down is to hit both sets. They are both similar and different at the same time. The P790 is full of new technology and look so sleek and to me are very unique. The M3's can trace their DNA back to Burner 1.0/2.0. It is a power, distance iron with huge forgiveness benefits. Some would see this as a bit chunky, but that was until recently, how to make a Game improvement iron.

One of them will give you the look, feel and performance you want and need in an iron. Dont just hit te 8 iron and make a decision. Hit them all! Then you will be ready to decide if the P790 is the right club or not. 

Hope that helped. I hope others will jump in. You have to decide for yourself. Make yourself happy. 

0 Kudos
Koung
Occasional Contributor

My vote would be the 790's, but I'm also a little biased since I think they are by far the best looking non-blade irons out in the market. I haven't liked the look and feel of any iron as much as I do with the 790's since I began playing (just 3 years ago). The top line is a little chunky, but that might be for the best given my handicap. I have heard that the m3 irons aren't as popular as older iterations and TM has struggled a bit since the RSI it seems (definitely could be wrong on that). I do wish that TM would stick with their new P series irons and one set of super game improvement since I don't see a huge difference between them at all other than being able to easily differentiate the M series irons to the drivers. In the end the best way to find out what works better for you is to go and try them out yourself. Good luck

0 Kudos
NM
Occasional Contributor

Guys

I appreciate they are now old (2015 I think) but as the previous poster referred to the RSI's I thought I would put in my two pennies worth ! The RSI 1 irons have got to be one of the easiest irons to hit out there, they have strong lofts and do exactly what is required of them, from 4 to PW they are a joy to use ! Have things really improved from them that much in the M2 and M4 irons, I don't think so. Anyone else still playing them ?

Nick 

0 Kudos
bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

If  you are 5-10 handicap and hit ball on the center face,  you could use P790 . The 790's are weaker lofts thruout set. With M3 you will probably need 4 wedges. With the P790's you could use 3 wedges. The clubs should be 4 degrees of separation between clubs for distance control. You probably will not be able to hit the M3 3 iron because the loft is low. Maybe M-3, much more forgiving & long. 5-PW, 4 wedges, and 2 Hybirds, 19 & 21.   go to demo day & get fit.  lie & shaft length, exact grip size extremely important no matter what club you buy. Good luck, I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
CoachTP5
Occasional Contributor

I just recently ordered a set of the P790 5-AW and look forward to playing them.  I had also bought a set of M4 irons last month.  I am keeping the M4 as a back up set if I start struggling with the P790 but from my fitting session I think I will be fine with the 790s.  So, you may want to do like one of the other commenters and have 2 sets!!! Just a thought and good luck with your decision. 

0 Kudos
GolfBaller13
New Contributor

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went and did a fitting with a TaylorMade fitter. The fitting was a great experience and it was all done on grass so I was able to get more accurate feel. After trying the M4, M3 and the P790 the fitter reccomended the P790s for me. Which is a good thing since those are the ones that I like best. The feel of them is awesome. THey felt better that the M$ and the M3s the distance (for me) was very similar to the M3. I have placed an order for a set of P790s and now can't wait to get them and to get out on the course with them.

Frequent Contributor

@GolfBaller13wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I went and did a fitting with a TaylorMade fitter. The fitting was a great experience and it was all done on grass so I was able to get more accurate feel. After trying the M4, M3 and the P790 the fitter reccomended the P790s for me. Which is a good thing since those are the ones that I like best. The feel of them is awesome. THey felt better that the M$ and the M3s the distance (for me) was very similar to the M3. I have placed an order for a set of P790s and now can't wait to get them and to get out on the course with them.

Very nice! I would love to hear feedback on how you get along with them on course. What is your set make-up, 5-PW? Did you do any adjusting to lofts? What shafts did you decide on?

Sorry for all the questions...Been raining for all week in Indiana...At least it isn't the 10" of snow we got last week!

0 Kudos
GolfBaller13
New Contributor

I will give you an update once I get them out on the course. We are having great golf weather and would be out there today if I had them. It will be nice to see how clubs that are fitted for me perform on the course, never had been fitted before.

Here is the set I ordered:

Heads: 4-AW

Lie: 2 deg up

Loft: Standard

Shaft:Nippon NS Pro 950 Regular

The loft and shafts are what the fitter recommended.

Koung
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately my experience on course so far has been mostly bad. I have been having a hard time breaking 100 when I usually am in the high 80's. I have credited this to an adjustment period and I have taken a lesson since getting them which went well so hoping for some lower scores in the coming weeks. I grabbed the 4-PW with standard l/l/l I have the c-taper lite 120 in stiff shafts. Love the look and feel still I just need to learn how to hit them or get used to the heavier club. My old clubs were speed blades with the regular 80 gram shafts so definitely quite a bit different.

0 Kudos