So I hit the P790 today

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Every so often I find myself wondering if I should put a set of "point and shoot" irons in the bag instead of the players CB or blades that I ususally play. The reality is that I don't work the ball very much, so why not put something in that just wants to go straight, high, and far? Why make the game harder than it needs to be? After demoing the P790 today, they might be it.

I hit a P790 7-iron with a Modus 120 today at our local PGA Tour Superstore and was blown away. The ball comes out relatively normal, but seems to carry forever. And it still has a steep enough descent angle to offset the relative lack of spin. I could play these.

I had been leaning toward putting together a great combo set of various P700 irons, but now I'm debating running with a full set of P790 for a while and seeing how it goes. My heart is still saying to wait for the P730, but my brain is saying P790.

P790 DispersionP790 DispersionP790 ShotsP790 Shots

• Everyone's Tags:
TK3309
Occasional Contributor

The only solution is to order both @jll62!

I also hit the P790s for the first time last Friday at my local PGA Superstore and was very impressed with the look and feel of these irons. They have the look of a players iron over the ball with the extra forgiveness. I've said it a few times but I was looking for a long iron replacement to my 712U and I ordered a P790 3 iron the next morning at my club. Can't wait to put this club in play as I think it is going to be a great club off the tee and a huge upgrade for me on shots from the fairway.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

TK3309 wrote:

The only solution is to order both @jll62!

Hahaha...I've had the P790s in my cart a few times, but just can't pull the trigger. Even with overnight shipping, a custom order would barely be here in time for my last event of the year.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

jll62 wrote:

Every so often I find myself wondering if I should put a set of "point and shoot" irons in the bag instead of the players CB or blades that I ususally play. The reality is that I don't work the ball very much, so why not put something in that just wants to go straight, high, and far? Why make the game harder than it needs to be? After demoing the P790 today, they might be it.

I hit a P790 7-iron with a Modus 120 today at our local PGA Tour Superstore and was blown away. The ball comes out relatively normal, but seems to carry forever. And it still has a steep enough descent angle to offset the relative lack of spin. I could play these.

I had been leaning toward putting together a great combo set of various P700 irons, but now I'm debating running with a full set of P790 for a while and seeing how it goes. My heart is still saying to wait for the P730, but my brain is saying P790.

P790 DispersionP790 DispersionP790 ShotsP790 Shots

I was pretty happy with my 770s as I thought they were plenty long and forgiving. I was originally planning on just using the 790 4iron which I had in my bag for 3 rounds and it was working out nicely. 

On Sunday, my game was in a bit of a dark place anyway so I took a full set of 790s out for a round. Long story short, full set staying in the bag. At 6'2 225, I'm a pretty big hitter. I did pure two awesome approach shots that ended up long and ultimately resulted in two bogeys. That being said, I didn't feel like I missed a shot all day and hit two golf shots I wouldn't even think of trying with 770s that resulted in a near eagle and another tap in birdie. 

Once I figure out gapping I can easily erase those long approaches but I cant manufacturer those two unreal golf shots with the 770s. It will be a process to get the 790 distances dialed in, but I'm almost 100% sure I'll play better and enjoy the game more making the switch. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Noodle3872
New Contributor

As mentioned, having a healthy descent angle is key.  I have been testing a set with the stock DG 105 and they are money!  Or so I thought until I tested the Modus 105.  These shafts are amazing!  Smooth and powerful!  Deadly accurate too.  They flight beautifully and cheat the wind (large part due to the P-790 design).  The ball lands like a butterfly with burnt feet!  The P-790 irons make playing golf easier than any iron I have ever played!  My set with Modus 105 is being built and I can't wait to get them in the bag!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Allan wrote:

I was pretty happy with my 770s as I thought they were plenty long and forgiving. I was originally planning on just using the 790 4iron which I had in my bag for 3 rounds and it was working out nicely. 

On Sunday, my game was in a bit of a dark place anyway so I took a full set of 790s out for a round. Long story short, full set staying in the bag. At 6'2 225, I'm a pretty big hitter. I did pure two awesome approach shots that ended up long and ultimately resulted in two bogeys. That being said, I didn't feel like I missed a shot all day and hit two golf shots I wouldn't even think of trying with 770s that resulted in a near eagle and another tap in birdie. 

Once I figure out gapping I can easily erase those long approaches but I cant manufacturer those two unreal golf shots with the 770s. It will be a process to get the 790 distances dialed in, but I'm almost 100% sure I'll play better and enjoy the game more making the switch. 

Thanks for the feedback @Allan. My P790 impulsiveness has passed for now, mostly due to the heads being backordered for Custom Shop orders. But I also think my RSi TPs know they're on thin ice because I hit them great last weekend: 16/18 greens in a practice round for US Four Ball qualifying, and then I was 8-under through 16 holes in a match against @TK3309 the following day...including a personal best 8 straight birdies (sorry, Tony! Hahaha...) #humblebrag Smiley Very Happy

I doubt I'll get a chance to demo the P790 outdoors before winter arrives here, but I plan to give them a good test in the Spring to get a feel for how they interact with the turf. I didn't notice anything with the 7-iron indoors that would make me think there's an issue, but the soles are obviously wider than what I'm used to and normally prefer.

I'll certainly end up with some P790 long irons in whatever set of P700 I put together for next year, but I just need to figure out where all of the splits will be.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

jll62 wrote:

Allan wrote:

Thanks for the feedback @Allan. My P790 impulsiveness has passed for now, mostly due to the heads being backordered for Custom Shop orders. But I also think my RSi TPs know they're on thin ice because I hit them great last weekend: 16/18 greens in a practice round for US Four Ball qualifying, and then I was 8-under through 16 holes in a match against @TK3309 the following day...including a personal best 8 straight birdies (sorry, Tony! Hahaha...) #humblebrag Smiley Very Happy

I doubt I'll get a chance to demo the P790 outdoors before winter arrives here, but I plan to give them a good test in the Spring to get a feel for how they interact with the turf. I didn't notice anything with the 7-iron indoors that would make me think there's an issue, but the soles are obviously wider than what I'm used to and normally prefer.

I'll certainly end up with some P790 long irons in whatever set of P700 I put together for next year, but I just need to figure out where all of the splits will be.

Your RSi TPs have good intuition. Pretty impressive stuff. 

I'm pretty sensitive to thuddy turf interaction with wider soled clubs but didn't notice that on my maiden voyage with the 790s. That being said, I still prefer the feel of 770s and that turn interaction could be part of it. It's not far off though. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Frequent Contributor

Had a chance to demo a P730 7-iron over the weekend and it has completely ruined every other iron for me. That feel...

TK3309
Occasional Contributor

Still waiting on my P790 3 iron. Ship date is 11/8 so hopefully I can sneak one round in with it before the snow here in Minnesota.

I also hit the P730 7 iron and the feel was incredible. Just butter. Too bad I know it's not in my best interest to bag them...

0 Kudos
Dart_Vader
Occasional Visitor

Have you received your order yet? I ordered the same set up 4-PW and have yet to receive. My order date was 9/10, five days before they went on sale to the public....

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Posts