So I hit the P790 today

Frequent Contributor

I have had a UDI 4 iron for a while now. But like everyone else, I have to try the new stuff! My irons are the P-770 4-PW. I have tried several hybrids over the years with streaky success. Some days they are long and straight. But most days, they go left, quickly, off the planet!

The UDI is very good from the tee but I had trouble really hitting it from the fairway and especially from rough. So it was not a replacement for hybrids for me.

The P-790 seems to be different for me. Longer than the UDI off the tee. It is 10-15 yards longer then my 770 4 iron so, gapping is not a problem. I found that I hit it pretty well out of the fairway and on my recent trip to Myrtle Beach it worked pretty well out of dormant Bermuda (I hate that stuff). Kinda new to say it is a done deal but feels really good.

But, you know the M3/M4 hybrids might be really good....Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Good report, Ed. The P790 remain intriguing to me. I've all but decided to go P730 in 7-PW or 6-PW, but the long irons are open for some experimentation. I'll have to do some loft tweaking, but I expect I'll have a P790 in at least a 4-iron and maybe even a 5-iron.

The question mark is my 2 UDI. I've currently got a bit of a gap between my 4 iron and the UDI, so I've been thinking about a P790 3-iron to sort of split the gap. It will be be fun to do some testing in the spring.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@jll62 wrote:

Good report, Ed. The P790 remain intriguing to me. I've all but decided to go P730 in 7-PW or 6-PW, but the long irons are open for some experimentation. I'll have to do some loft tweaking, but I expect I'll have a P790 in at least a 4-iron and maybe even a 5-iron.

The question mark is my 2 UDI. I've currently got a bit of a gap between my 4 iron and the UDI, so I've been thinking about a P790 3-iron to sort of split the gap. It will be be fun to do some testing in the spring.

The UDI is good. But I feel the 790 is a bit better. It could be turf interaction, i am not sure. As well as you hit the ball, I could see a 790 3 iron and 750/770 4-5 or 4-6 set up. I think you will like the feel of the full set that way.

0 Kudos
CoachTP5
Occasional Contributor

I placed my order of P790 5-AW with Nippon NS Pro 950T shafts.  They start production on them next week and are set to be delivered to me by 4/11/18.  I am looking forward to getting these beauties in m hand.  

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Anyone playing these with the stock shafts? I am currently playing M2 Tour irons with C Taper 105 Stiff shafts. They are 105g and I am worried that the stock shafts would be too light at 97g. Anyone have any experience with these?

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
TPfore84
Occasional Contributor
Placed my order today for 3-PW. I decided to go with 3,4 Modus 3 105S and 5-PW Modus 3 120S. I can’t wait to get them. Looks like they will ship by end of week!
0 Kudos
SundaySlacker
New Contributor

I currently game the 770`s, and have been itching to try the 790`s with the KBS Tour FTL 120 Stiff. 

0 Kudos
Wehner313
Man I am glad you are living the p790.
However I am not. I’m not sure what happened from my fitting. But I feel my old traditional blades are further. Could be set up of club not sure... but I want to love them. Granted my miss hits are as far as a well struck ball with blades However, I bought these for distance. Plain and simple. If I’m not gaining yards then why switch.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Surprising to see that you are not gaining distance with these. I went to a fitting for these on trackman, and with all parameters optimized with the right shaft, I gained 10-15 yards with them.

I am stuck between the 790 and the 760, as I want to get a set I can grow into for the next few years, and really like the idea of the players irons for the scoring clubs.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos