Spider Mini Counterbalanced option?

Frequent Contributor
Good afternoon,
When I saw the spider mini I was immediately drawn to the shape of the head as it fits my eye. A little bit of background, I previously played the Counterbalanced Spyder mallet and saw success but was making more putts with a competitors Counterbalanced mallet so it was knocked out of my bag. I've tried the spider and itsy bitsy spider putters in a Counterbalanced configuration but neither worked well for me. When I saw the spider mini I got excited and reached out to Taylormade on Twitter to inquire about ordering a Counterbalanced version. They were quick to say that was not available. Yesterday I read an article describing DJ's spider mini and it's 35.5 inches and has the superstroke group with countercore weight. I was inquiring about a 36.5 inch spider mini with the same superstroke grip and with weight kits for both the grip and the bottom of the putter. Is this possible? I prefer the feel of the Taylormade insert and really want to work a Taylormade putter back in my bag. Please let me know as I would love to test that setup out and even provide a write-up for anyone considering a similar setup. Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
Bueller.. Bueller.. lol!
Regular Contributor

I doubt you'll see a counterbalanced option anytime soon at retail. It's been tried and I think the market has spoken on its (lack of) desire for counterbalanced putters.

This is something that would be extremely easy to build yourself. Put a shaft extension in a Mini to get the length you want, and then get a SuperStroke grip with a counter core. Done. Or you could get counterbalance with another grip by going with a Tour Lock counterbalance system and have more options for how much weight you want. If you need weight in the head, put lead tape on the sole until you get to the weight that feels right. If desired, you could replace the lead tape with an appropriately sized sole weight later.

DJ uses a counter core grip, but it's my understanding that he doesn't always have an insert in there.

Frequent Contributor
Good evening,
Thanks for the reply. I know I could build one up with lead tape but I prefer to have weight kits as I sometimes adjust when I get to a course with really fast or slow greens. Plus, I like my putters to have a cleaner look and lead tape irks me. I wonder why you think the market has decided against Counterbalanced putters? More manufacturers are selling them now than before and from what I read they are selling well. Maybe you have seen some information that I'm missing. I've read that DJ often does have the countercore weight in his putter grip but may remove it depending on the feel of the greens. Interesting enough.. maybe it's in my head but I make a lot more putts with my current Counterbalanced mallet putter.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My point about lead tape was it could be used as a short term option to figure out what weight you want in the head before you buy a weight kit. But if you don't mind buying different size weights and seeing what you like, but all means do that instead of lead tape.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jason06230
Occasional Contributor

Well, this might be one of those clubs that does not fit for everyone, I might be lucky enough to be in the general targeted audience. Although it may not be the greatest club, but it's not too bad either

golfdrivers
0 Kudos