TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

ThePhatGolfer
Occasional Contributor
Still working out which model to switch to! The TP5 feels so much softer, and is so much more workable than the X, but the distance and height gains with the X are unreal. Played golf my entire life, and I've never had an instance where I picked up one club distance with any ball! I continue to try others, but they still disappoint! There isn't a line out there that even compares! I'm playing my first competitive round in 18 years in September at a USGA Mid-Amateur qualifier, and have a dozen personalized TP5 balls...and am absolutely stoked, knowing I have zero worries with the performance of my equipment! All on me from this point on! Great job TaylorMade!
Frequent Contributor
For me, I'm settling in on the TP5x balls because I'm getting more distance and a tighter dispersion. I am planning to do a more thorough write-up once I've been able to get to the course a few more times (which isn't easy with the new baby!)
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
To each his own I'm worried about scoring not getting 5 or 10 yards more distance. I'll take 10 foot birdie putts and 270 yard drives all-day while you have 20 foot birdie putts and 280 yards drives. Drive for show and ego, putt for dough and wins! TP5 is the scoring ball!!
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Chris,
It is interesting the difference you are seeing between the two balls with your swing. For me, I'm not seeing a big difference with spin numbers. With the TP5x my balls are finishing within a foot of the ball mark on the greens up through my 7 iron. With the longer irons it is usually within a few feet. My wedge shots / chips / pitches show no difference between the two balls. The big difference for me is that the dispersion is tighter with the TP5x which is leaving me shorter putts, not longer. The added distance is a bonus. It explains why some of the Taylormade pros are playing the TP5 while others are playing the TP5x. It also might come down to the irons/clubs as I play muscle back blades which have a lower, more penetrating flight with plenty of spin. I'm still in the determination phase but the TP5x is certainly winning.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I play on firm greens at our club not soft so that could be the difference. With a 7 Iron I'm getting 5990 spin and 173 distance with TP5 and 5610 spin and 174 distance with TP5X. The TP5X is about 7-8 yards longer with Driver and Pro V1X in between the two. Playing on firm greens were hitting a lot of 7-SW into green and 3 wood and Hybrid off tee on several holes I prefer the stopping power. If playing soft greens any ball will stop even a rock flite. Lol. I actually get 6231 spin and176 distance out of Pro V1X. With 56° I'm getting right 13,000 spin and 101 distance with TP5, 11,605 spin and 100 yards with TP5X and 11,400 spin and 101 distance with Pro V1X. The 2017 version of Pro V1X spins more than Pro V1 y used it as comparison. I like to hit it high with spin to stop ball on tournament style firm greens y TP5 is 1st choice, Pro V1X 2nd Choice and TP5X 3rd choice.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Basically my test say TP5 best ball with wedges, around green and putter feel. Pro V1X best ball with mid irons and TP5X best with Driver that y I've chosen the TP5 cuz it best were scoring is done. I'm not gonna sacrifice a couple thousand rpm of back spin with wedge for 7-8 yards more distance with driver.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Chris,
That is very interesting.. You are definitely seeing a different performance from the balls than I am. Were you custom fit for your irons? My normal go to when getting fitted is that I want 7,000+ revs with my 7 iron, 6,000+ with my 6 iron, etc. I know that changes if you are playing the new clubs like the m2 line-up which have strong lofts and low perimeter weighting to launch the ball high and far but playing clubs with more traditional lofts that is how I get fit for spin numbers. Your 7 iron is putting the same backspin as my 6 iron so I can see where you would want more spin. I play on municipal courses which often have dried out greens but I am not having trouble holding them. The backspin numbers have been within 300 of each other for me and I've done a lot of testing on my launch monitor. The distance difference for me is primarily seen with my woods and that was not a determining factor for me. With playing forged muscle-back blades the TP5 is almost too soft as I don't feel the ball when I find the center. For me, the dispersion left and right has been a few yards tighter with the TP5x. My issue isn't holding the greens but missing them left & right. My preferred ball flight is very straight with a small draw. My bad shots are a push or an over-draw. I don't work the ball a lot so I want a straighter flight and that's what the TP5x is showing so far. I'm hitting more greens which is actually helping me score better. This definitely demonstrates why Taylormade produces both balls and why golfers should test and see what works best for them!
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I totally agree that y they make different balls but I can't see how you not getting bigger gap in spin rpm cuz professional test are close to the same gap I'm getting between the two balls. I have trouble fading ball to my misses are pushes right or overdrawing the ball with snaphooks on occasion. I hit ball high though always have. I hit a fade occasionally but can't do it on command. I play PSI irons tho. Have a .5 handicap at moment since you feeling out for that info. I prefer Titleist Pro V1X In Titleist line but I'm getting the results I want from TP5 since that has become my ball this season. I actually prefer the Project a over TP5X tho.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Good evening Chris,
I am definitely not feeling out for your handicap, yours is certainly lower than mine. The reason I was asking about the fit is that a good club-fitter can get you better spin/launch/height numbers by changing the shafts and tailor it to what you want. I have seen similar spin gap numbers as yours as well as others like me who are not seeing as much of a difference. I'm wondering if it has to do with the club type. I know that muscle-back/bladed clubs allow you to shape the ball more, have a lower and more penetrating flight, but are not forgiving. Cavity back irons have a higher launch and aren't quite as workable but are more forgiving when you don't find the center. I wonder if this causes the discrepancy. Players like Jon Rahm who use the p750's, which are a pro style cavity, are using the TP5 ball. DJ (who plays the 2014 MB blades) and Rory (who is playing his proto blades) are both using the TP5x. Maybe one of the Taylormade reps can weigh in. I do see less spin (including sidespin) with the TP5x but it is helping my dispersion. And as for clubs, I really like the PSI tour clubs and the new P750 & P770 irons and hope to try them out soon. If I'm completely honest, I would benefit from a more forgiving iron but I don't like the larger/chunkier irons. That's why the above irons are on my list to try out as they are smaller heads but offer more forgiveness. Alright, I've rambled enough..lol.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Lol! Ramble on bro it conversation. And of course I've been fitted to specs i want and benefit me. Of course a ball with less spin gonna give u tighter dispersion. McIlroy and Rahm and all the pros who play the x is because they want less spin cuz they back ball up to far the x was created to stop guys from backing ball up off the green.
0 Kudos