TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

nosoup4u72
New Contributor

These balls are the best.  The x keeps my spin down for longer shots, but the regualr tp5 works well for me on firm courses where I need more control around the greens.  Both so good!

0 Kudos
TinkerGolfMan
Contributor

I've been playing the TP5, not sure sure why, but the TP5x doesn't hold for me...

jtrefil
Occasional Visitor

I am 71 with a 6.3 index and a 88 SS.  When younger I was a + player and have always relied on heigth to stop the ball on the green.  Never was a spin player.  Can you give any suggestion as to which ball may be better for me?  I understand the spin difference is probably minimal as is the distance between the 2 balls, but could always use a little more distance because of my SS slowing up.  Thanks.

eftaylor1944
Have not been able to find these balls. Currently playing pro v 1x.
With being over 70 my swing speed is right at 88 mph. Which ball do you suggest?
0 Kudos
ChrisEdwards
Occasional Contributor

Based on your current ball, I would suggest starting with TP5x. You should see a little more driver/long iron distance and better control in the wind as well as high spin around the green.

If you cannot find them at your local golf shop, use this link to order TP5x: https://www.taylormadegolf.com/taylormade-balls/

If you want to learn a bit more about TP5 and TP5x before making a decision, this link has a lot of good info : https://www.taylormadegolf.com/tp5-golf-balls.html

Hope this helps!

Chris Edwards
Copywriter — TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
3JackPar
Occasional Contributor

I have primarily played TaylorMade balls for around the past decade, going back to the TP Red.  I've found that I generally can play the Pro V1x equivalent in most ball brands without noticing much of a difference, but the TM balls have been the best combination of performance and value (they've often done buy 2 dozen, get 1 free  promotions compared to other brands that do buy 3, get 1 free, and for whatever reason I've found better prices on them than other brands), so I've been happy to have them in play, and from generation to generation of models, they've performed well for me.  The TP5x broke the streak, though.  I found that it felt pretty good, maybe a little firmer than the Tour Preferred X, but it spins noticeably less than what I'm used to with this type of ball, both on full iron shots, and around the greens.  With the irons, that translates into an extra 5-7 yards for me, and where my iron shots generally hit and stop pretty much where they land, the TP5x consistently rolled out a good 5-10 feet depending on the iron.  Also, not a problem, as it's something I can take into account, and adjust to, but the real issue I had is that they just don't spin the way I like around the greens, and that lack of short game spin is a deal breaker.  I should probably give the regular TP5 a try, but I have a stash of about 6 dozen Tour Preferred X that should hold me for a while.  I understand that there are some additional tour-only versions of the TP5 and TP5x, and I'd be curoius to know which players are using one of those versions versus the retail ones.

0 Kudos
njortego
New Contributor

Making the switch from Titleist ProV1X and am seeing a bit of yardage increase and higher ball flight! Loving it so far 

LitigatingDawg

The TP5 is a huge leap forward for me.

I'd previously played the Lethal and loved it, but ended up with several dozen ProV's.  After playing the TP5, I bought a few dozen and have given away a lot of ProV's.

The TP5 is a great feeling ball, does everything I could want around the green, and carries about 1/2 club longer through the bag.

I love it.

burns9304
Occasional Visitor

Love the TP5! First round with it I made my first hole in one and have been playing with it for over 6 months.  Have just stocked up on them so they will be the gamer for the full calender year next year.

Highlighted
ForePutz
New Contributor
Decided to give these balls a shot mid summer. I get to play in more than my fair share of wind which was one reason but honestly tired of paying $50 for ProV’s. Tried both models and now I’m playing the TP5x exclusively.

Spin with short irons and wedges has not been an issue for me and though not as soft as the TP5 and I love a soft feel these feel plenty soft. Distance off the tee box has been longer than the ProV balls and I feel much longer than the Callaway ball. And performance in the wind is noticeably better. Trajectory is a little higher but wind hasn’t hurt it. Love the response and confidence I get from this ball.

I’m converted and have also got several of my playing partners to make the switch. Awesome ball and best on the market.