TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm still trying to flush out my Tour Preferred stock because of the distance change with TP5 will take some getting used to, but with limited testing, the feel really stands out. 

Anybody get to try them yet? Thoughts? 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
  • ball
  • TP5
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

The first time I had the opportunity to hit the new TP5x was into a net with Trackman picking up the data. As a high-spin guy off the tee, I immediately gained carry distance with my driver as a result of the decreased spin and drag. These results continued out on the course as well. I currently play a 2017 M2 driver with a HZRDUS black shaft (also spin killers), so the trifecta of my driver, shaft, and TP5x ball has completely changed my game off the tee for the better (my swooping slice miss is almost completely out of the question now).

Probably even more significant has been the distance gains I have seen across the board with my irons. Conservatively, I'd say I've picked up 5 yards with each club. This distance jump took a bit of adjusting to, but after playing a full round with the new ball, I had complete confidence that I wasn't going to come up short if I put a good swing on it. Beyond that, the decresed drag also decreases the impact that wind has on the trajectory. As always, you still need to adjust your shot depending on the wind direction, but there is no question that TP5x has more control and a more penetrating ball flight than other balls out there. 

Around the greens, I am spinning the ball just as much (if not more) than I was when I played Tour Preferred X. Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised with every aspect of the new ball. Whenver I run out and decide to play another ball that I found or had in my bag, I truly feel that I am at a disadvantage without TP5x.

Chris Edwards
Copywriter — TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
drbrianmann
Contributor

Haven't gotten to hit them yet but I plan on hitting them all spring! 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Picked up a dozen of each on the day they were released, but have only had a chance to play 18 holes with the TP5x and none with the TP5. Early spring golf in Minnesota is a crap shoot, at best. I've been a Tour Preferred X player for a while, so my initial thinking is that I'll play the TP5x, but the TP5 will get a shot and the best performing ball will win out.

I'm flat out amazed by the wind performance of this ball. It's like it simply ignores crosswinds. We were playing in 15-20 mph winds and the flight off driver and long irons responded like it was 5 mph. From a distance perspective, I was hitting everything my normal distances with irons, but it was the first round of the year and the temps were about 50 degrees. I'm usually a club short during this time of year, so that's an indication there will be some gain once normal golf is back.

It was impossible to gauge around the green performance on the course we played since the grass is all still dormant. I'll post some detailed testing results once the season gets started.

Highlighted
Ed_Settle
Contributor
I had a chance to hit the Proto5/Proto5X back in early December on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach. Really feel in love with the Proto5. I played the Proto5X but the weather had turned colder and damp.

I found the Proto5 to be an improvement over the TPX in almost ever area. I could see the TP5 being my new ball.

I will have to try the TP5X just to make sure though! 😎
Community Manager
Community Manager

jll62 wrote:

Picked up a dozen of each on the day they were released, but have only had a chance to play 18 holes with the TP5x and none with the TP5. Early spring golf in Minnesota is a crap shoot, at best. I've been a Tour Preferred X player for a while, so my initial thinking is that I'll play the TP5x, but the TP5 will get a shot and the best performing ball will win out.

I'm flat out amazed by the wind performance of this ball. It's like it simply ignores crosswinds. We were playing in 15-20 mph winds and the flight off driver and long irons responded like it was 5 mph. From a distance perspective, I was hitting everything my normal distances with irons, but it was the first round of the year and the temps were about 50 degrees. I'm usually a club short during this time of year, so that's an indication there will be some gain once normal golf is back.

It was impossible to gauge around the green performance on the course we played since the grass is all still dormant. I'll post some detailed testing results once the season gets started.

Wonder if the colder weather had an impact on distance because almost everyone we put on Trackman picks up some very noticeable difference. I've seen a few guys have very little change (typically low spin guys). 

Wanted to point out though that I was very much an X guy and am now heavily preferring the 5 over the 5x. Main differences are a little higher launch for iron shots and a tad more distance with the 5x and a little softer feel on the 5. I like a little more penetrating flight and softer feel so the 5 is my play. 

Thats my experience though and that could easily change as I actually start using them in rounds. I'll be interested to hear where you land. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

The cold weather definitely factored into it, along with a still winterized swing. I took the fact that I was hitting "summer distances" as a sign the ball will carry a bit more than I'm used to.

I'll be honest, I've been telling people I think the 5 will be better for me than the 5x because, like you, I think I'll like the flight of the 5 better. Will be a fun month of testing once we get going here.

0 Kudos
HillaryWyse
Occasional Contributor

Definitely looking forward to trying them out soon.  Historically, I've used the Tour Preferred, but I'm excited to try out the new technology.  I really appreciate how TaylorMade is always revolutionizing the game and focusing on improving play for the pros and non-pros (like me...sadly)

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

HillaryWyse wrote:

Definitely looking forward to trying them out soon.  Historically, I've used the Tour Preferred, but I'm excited to try out the new technology.  I really appreciate how TaylorMade is always revolutionizing the game and focusing on improving play for the pros and non-pros (like me...sadly)

I think TP5/5x will benefit everyday players more than the top players in the world, but then again, who wouldn't mind a half a club?

Opposite of @jll62, you might want to give the TP5x more consideration as they should launch a little higher and get it out there a little further. We're pretty confident you're going to love them. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Had a chance to get in 18 yesterday and put the TP5 into play for the first time. The feel around the greens and off the putter is incredible, I loved the slightly more penetrating flight of the irons (good call @Blocker), and the wind performance is still superb.

Looking forward to really putting these through their paces once the season gets rolling.

0 Kudos