TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@drbrianmann wrote:

Has anybody hit any of the newer cheap high performance balls? Like Kirkland Signature? 

Have to be honest...I'm pretty anti Kirkland Signature. Costco comes in, buys balls that were excess production, and then sells them at a price that was far below would it would have cost had they wanted to have a production run of balls made for them. Not a sustainable business model. It's an overall negative because it establishes a price in consumers' minds that's far lower than what the market can actually support. I was disappointed to see the way the various sites reacted to these balls.

0 Kudos
drbrianmann
Contributor

What about Vice or Snell? 

0 Kudos
LowhadicapChef7
New Contributor
I've tried the vice pro or whatever their high end ball is. It hits well doesn't have the feel any where near the tp5 or x. Plus you only save if you buy 5 or more dozen otherwise it's like 35 plus shipping.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@drbrianmann wrote:

I haven't tried either, but Snell is intriguing because it's Dean Snell's company and they're using a thermoset cast urethane cover on the MTB. Of all the lower priced premium balls on the market, these are the ones I'd try if I was looking for something different. But the graphics are hideous.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

@jll62 wrote:

@drbrianmann wrote:

I haven't tried either, but Snell is intriguing because it's Dean Snell's company and they're using a thermoset cast urethane cover on the MTB. Of all the lower priced premium balls on the market, these are the ones I'd try if I was looking for something different. But the graphics are hideous.

That is my take also. I have a feeling there is a 4 pcs ball in the wings for Snell very soon. Might be wrong on that, but I know he is working on something. The feel of the TP5/TP5X is what helps seperate it from that group. Not to mention the wind performance.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Another week, another win for the TP5x...carry on. Smiley Wink

ChrisV
Contributor
Here's my concerns everyone talking about distance I could care less about distance as you score hitting irons into green which makes stopping the ball much more important than hitting it farther so therefore the no spin thing kinda a turnoff right from start! Impressed on what hearing about but honestly I'd rather only drive ball 270 and have a ball gonna stop on green than a ball can hit 290 but can't stop on firm greens play on. I been playing Project (a) and am impressed gonna take a lot a firm evidence to get play ball advertised as low spin.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
ChrisV, I think you may be misunderstanding the low spin statements. If you read the great article posted about why Rory McIlroy switched to Taylormade it was the ball that drove his decision. Pros would not play a ball that couldn't stop on the greens. The purpose of the multiple layer balls is that on your high velocity swings (aka driver) the ball responds with a lower spin. As your swing speed continues to reduce as you move into the mid irons then wedges the spin continues to go up as the multi-composite cores react differently. The problem with a lot of balls that give good spin and hold greens is that into a headwind the ball climbs/balloons up and you lose a ton of distance which makes club selection very difficult. What Taylormade (and all ball manufacturers) are chasing is that sweet spot and right now these TP5 & TP5X are performing superior to anything else out there. If you want data / unbiased results, check out Rick Shiels channel on YouTube. He plays all different manufacturers balls & clubs and recently put out a review on these with data from a GC2 launch monitor. With his scoring clubs (mid-irons and wedges) he was getting great spin numbers and he was still getting the lower spin numbers you would want with his driver. I hope this helps. I do also like the Project A ball and have played it and the Tour Preferred X balls for many years and are good balls in their own right. These TP5/TP5X are certainly worth trying out though!!!
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I did read article it was never mentioned. Regardless I don't produce backspin like McIlroy does. I need a ball promotes it!!
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I've played TM balls for years now not putting TP5 down just don't think it right ball for me and my swing speed. Might b perfect ball if your DJ, Sergio, Rory, Jason Day or Justin Rose who need balls with less spin. Most the new technology benefits these guys a lot while we the low handicapper get very little if any benefit from this technology. I'm the biggest TM nut on planet carry 14 TM clubs with many more in closet I'd never sell in a TM bag, glove and only balls I play. I've tried them all Rocketballz, Burner, TP, Project (a) so this in no way an insult to TM just think the Project (a) is geared more to us low handicap amateur while TP5 geared more to the Pros.
0 Kudos