TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Hey Chris,
Definitely play what is working for you. I actually played very cheap balls for a long time because I didn't feel like my game was good enough to justify better balls. (Plus, at the rate I was losing them it would have been expensive..lol). I started getting lessons and have spent a few years really working on my game and that's when I started using the Project A balls. I could get them to hold most of the greens at the municipal courses but on nicer courses with cut & rolled greens I struggled to hold them. That's when I tried a sleeve of the Tour Preferred balls. Not only was I holding more greens but was actually getting them to draw back a couple feet with my better strikes. This may be a product of my swing but the Tour Preferred gave me much more spin and feel around the greens than the Project A balls. I still play a mix of Tour Preferred and Project A balls that I still have. As I work through the remaining Project A balls I'm hitting more Tour Preferred X. My instructor had told me that one of the biggest errors in thought was that good balls were only for low handicappers. I'm glad he did because I've developed much better touch and feel around the greens and my scores have continued to drop. And in complete transparency, I'm still experimenting with the TP5/TP5X balls myself. My go to ball is still the Tour Preferred X at this point but I do need to get out on a windy day to see how much of a difference I notice. (I also am doing some work with it on my Skytrak launch monitor to see how it compares with my swing speed as I'm far from being a professional and my swing speed and distances are no where near them).
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Everyone see Rick Shiels' review the other day on TP5 and TP5x? He preferred the TP5 which is also my preference due to the increased spin around the greens...I'm a low spin guy...and need to scramble a lot!

Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/GCgdnRugOwg

Oh and Rory's TP5x is pretty sweet. I snapped these on the truck last week at Sawgrass...

C_a4X0vXoAENUMW.jpg

C_a4XwrXgAAm8Ai.jpgC_a4X0lXcAA_8qK.jpgC_a4X0kXsAAYz2H.jpg

@ryanlauder66
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@ChrisV wrote:
Here's my concerns everyone talking about distance I could care less about distance as you score hitting irons into green which makes stopping the ball much more important than hitting it farther so therefore the no spin thing kinda a turnoff right from start! Impressed on what hearing about but honestly I'd rather only drive ball 270 and have a ball gonna stop on green than a ball can hit 290 but can't stop on firm greens play on. I been playing Project (a) and am impressed gonna take a lot a firm evidence to get play ball advertised as low spin.

Your concerns are well founded, but I think they're a bit misplaced. You can stop a ball with spin, or you can stop a ball with height and angle of descent. For mid-to-long irons specifically, the latter is far more important. If a ball spins a little less off a 5-iron, but flies higher and lands at a steeper angle, it's going to stop more quickly than the ball that spun more and flew lower.

If you also gain a half-club to a club of distance with the lower spinning ball, you might be hitting 6-iron into the green instead of a 5-iron. In that case the ball will actually gain some spin due to the higher loft of the 6-iron and you still get the benefits of the steep angle of descent. There really isn't a trade-off here. The lower spinning, higher flying ball is going to be better in almost all scenarios.

If you're concerned about spin off short irons and wedges, I can't really persuade you from a computer, but I'd say just go try the TP5 family and see what you think. I haven't noticed any loss of spin on short approach shots when compared to previous balls I've played, so I don't think your concerns are applicable there. The cover material starts to matter a whole lot more than the core construction on those shots and that cover is plenty responsive. You won't be giving up anything compared to other balls.

After years of playing an X ball (long-time Pro V1x user, then TPx), I have settled into the TP5 for now because I absolutely love them around the greens and off the putter. The soft feel is incredible. I need to go back and test the TP5x now that the weather has warmed up, but I initially landed on TP5 because of the slightly more penatrating flight and that feel around the greens.

ChrisV
Contributor
I hit the ball very high don't need ball make it go higher. I hit my 4 iron higher most people hit there 8 iron but yet the TP didn't hold the greens cuz of lack of spin so kinda bunks your theory on height. Spin very important. Have not tried TP5 but assuming even less spin since that direction technology going. I'm gonna buy sleeve but bet I'll be going back to Project (a). It not money there $3 dozen cheaper. I get spin out them.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The TP5 continues to impress me. I played a qualifier yesterday for our state match play events in less than ideal conditions--50ºF, 15-20 MPH wind--and the ball was fantastic in all areas. Both of my fellow competitors were playing Pro V1x and it was easy to see differences in the way the wind was affecting their drives and approach shots.

I'm also impressed with the durablity of a cover that feels so soft and responsive. This ball was played for 18 holes and there are only a few spots where the cover shows any sort of marks. Durability is not one of my deciding factors when picking out a ball, but it's always a nice surprise when it's there. I could easily play this ball for another 18 holes.

TP5-1.jpeg

TP5-2.jpeg

Community Manager
Community Manager

The reviews we're getting of this ball are almost hard for me to even believe. 

Also, this makes me want to start a "how do you mark your ball" thread...

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Gave TP5 X go today good ball but still like Project (a) better get more spin. Like said before stopping the ball on green allowing me score more important than distance. Give the TP 5 try next round. As of now sticking with Project (a).
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
We all deliver the club to the ball differently. If the Project (a) ball is giving the best results then play what's working!
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Tho I was not impressed with the TP5x as far as stopping ball on green I was impressed with distance averaged about 10 Xtra yards off tee vs Project (a) but shot stopping is how u score so the x got the x. Now I got chance to play the TP5 and I'm going to have to say I was impressed with shot stopping control around greens and with all four wedges whether it was low check 1/2, 3/4 or full shots. Did notice that by time got out to mid irons was beginning to lose the shot stopping ability tho. It was not as long as the x but more concerned about stopping ball on green which is where we score. I'm actually in dilemma choosing between the Project a and regular TP5 (x got the x). Distance between the Project a and TP5 is very close to same, shot stopping ability with wedges actually think got more spin and stopping ability with TP5 tho could have just been surprised after hated the x. By time got to mid irons though project a was clearly stopping better than TP5. TP5 was more accurate than the Project a tho. This makes for tough decision in deciding my club has firm greens as all good courses do. I wish I could play off TP5 off tee, Project a with mid and long irons but have accuracy of TP5 and there both great performers with with wedges from 130 yards in. It is very tough decision and TP5 is a hundred times better than TP or Penta was no contest choosing in past between TP, Penta and Project a the Project a was clear winner but now the regular TP5 is a game changer. Will keep comparing TP5 and Project a together next slow day I'm gonna have a TP5 vs Project a and be my own twosome by myself. If could only combine the two balls into one be awesome. If the TP5 retained a little more spin with mid irons but stayed that accurate it would be clear winner. TP5 is best ball off tee as far as accuracy and as far good distance as most balls. The new Pro v 1x has little less spin off tee than TP5 with about same distance in ball reviews, Pro V 1x has little more spin with mid irons about 300 rpm, but with wedges the TP5 has about 1300 rpm more spin and that where u score. Around green and putting no comparison there either TP5 a lot better. Titleist not in my decision making but thought few y'all like see the difference. As for now I'll continue comparing TP5 and Project a against each other maybe someday I'll be able choose between the two.
Frequent Contributor
Good write-up on how the TP5 and TP5x are performing with your swing. I'm still doing similar testing myself although it is going a lot slower with the new baby. I've been able to hit on my skytrak a couple times and am liking what I'm seeing between the TP5 & TP5X but I need to get some time on the course to compare my existing ball (tour preferred x) and these new balls. I have a charity tournament that's coming up next month and that might be my first opportunity. Once I have more data between the skytrak and real world data I plan to do a more thorough write-up in case it helps someone else.
0 Kudos