TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

Vandy1025
New Contributor

Understand where you are coming form. I gained at least 5-10 yards in distance per club. Not sure if that equals less strokes, but it did for me. I know I only have 2 rounds in since i switched, but a 73 and a 76 are both better than my handicap. Whether coincidence or not, the only difference in those 2 rounds was the Tp5x put in play. All I can say is try. Thanks for the response

0 Kudos
Justinrw
Occasional Contributor
Consistent flight is certainly the biggest concern. Have never had an issue for distance but definitely have hand spin issues. Thanks!
0 Kudos
SteveH
Occasional Contributor

The gain will be around the greens and appraoches to the greens. A Two Piece ball is good for distance...a three piece ball adds more control...a 5 piece adds even more!

I can hit a $2 ball say 145 with my 7 iron...the TP5 ($4) 140..so I lose distance...BUT on the approach shots, the $2 hits the green and carries on its merry way a few feet from the hole...a $4 hits the green, one hop and say's "Okay, here I am, 2 feet from the hole, put me in it".

More control v loss of a few yards...I know what I choose and I play with the TP5 and an 11 handicapper.

0 Kudos
PJAS
Occasional Visitor
I have recently started back playing & I am finding it hard to find a golf ball that suits me ... I was wondering would you recommend the tp5x for a mid handicapper with a hard & fast swing speed ... All the balls I have been recommended (Titleist velocity, Callaway Diablo) so far just seem to feel like jello of the stick & go nowhere, we’re the old Callaway warbird balls fly off the stick & straighter ... Have a total TaylorMade bag (SLDR Woods & rocketbladez irons) so was looking at the ball now ... ty in advance for help
SteveH
Occasional Contributor

Hi PJAS;

I would certainly look at the TP5X for a faster swing speed, but it's not all about compression - The TP5 is 83 compression and the TP5x is 90 compression so there is not much difference - there is also a ball flight difference between the two. 

The TP5X’s firmer cover allows for more speed, a higher trajectory and less spin. You’ll get a much more powerful trajectory and more distance with the TP5X than you would with the TP5.

The TP5 has a .040" cast urethane cover thickness while the TP5X has a .020" cast urethane cover thickness and so the TP5 grips the grooves a little more, providing more spin which = loss of distance over the TP5X...but  (in my opinion) more spin around the wedge distances with the TP5. I started with the TP5X, but changed to the TP5, prefering the softer feel around the greens.

You could also look at the new Titelist AVX. 

Frequent Contributor
I have still been very happy with both the TP5 and TP5x balls. I have 2 sets of clubs that I play. One is a muscle back blade and I tend to spin the ball too much with these so I use the TP5x whenever I try to convince myself I'm good enough to play that set. Normally I play some pro style cavity backs and I can play either the TP5 or the TP5x with success. If I'm on a hole where I need more distance I usually play the TP5x as it seems to get a free extra yards with my driver although that could be all in my head. Both balls have worked well with full and partial wedge shots and will hit and stop for me. I was given a sleeve of the AVX balls to try out and the TP5/TP5x outperformed them for me.
0 Kudos
SteveH
Occasional Contributor

I have been using the AVX's for 3 games now and must admit to liking them, they are longer than the TP5, or so it seems and they do stop well on the green. However, 3 games isn't enough time to really sate that they are longer/better/whatever..so I reserve final judgement for now...but they are nice to play with.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
That is very interesting. I was seeing the opposite. Once again, I only played one sleeve for a handful of rounds and hit on my Skytrak launch monitor but I was not seeing any noticable increase in distance with the AVX. (On the monitor it was a yard or 2 shorter). What I did see was a noticeable drop-off in spin on my short irons and wedges with the AVX which is where I want more spin. Pitching, chipping, and putting to some extent favored the TP5/TP5x. I did play on a very gusty/windy day and the TP5x ball seemed much better than the AVX head to head but that could be me and my strike on the ball. I will say that it is telling that there are no PGA professionals inside the top 200 using the AVX. (I don't know if any are, I just stopped after 200..lol). The TP5/TP5x has the tour validation and wins behind it so I'm curious what the Titleist pros are seeing with the AVX that are keeping them from playing it.
SteveH
Occasional Contributor

You won't find Tour Players using the AVX mate, it isn't aimed at them! The AVX is a mere ALTERNATIVE to the Pro V's..but the same price tag of about £41.

The Pro V1, Pro V1x, and AVX are differentiated based upon flight, spin, and feel. Compared to Pro V1, Pro V1x flies higher, spins more, and feels firmer. Compared to Pro V1, AVX flies lower, spins less, and feels softer....and has not as much stopping power on the greens as the Pro V1.

I play in Spain and over tha last few games, we've had no wind, but yes, the TP5 does hold it's shape in the wind and yes, stops quicker on the Greens.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Steve,
That's great information. I thought the AVX was Titleist's answer to the TP5/TP5x lineup. That makes more sense now. I keep seeing them call it a your quality ball but which was confusing me but that's typical marketing that all the major manufacturers are guilty of. Thanks for the clarification!
0 Kudos