TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

ChrisV
Contributor
Out of curiosity what part of country u live in?
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Hey Chris,
I hear you. I agree that those guys put a lot of backspin on the ball and I wonder if that's due to the type of club that they are playing or if it is technique. I was thinking that I was onto something with the cavity back versus blade assumption because the Taylormade tour guys playing the P750 irons (Rahm, Sergio, Rose) are all playing the TP5. The two guys playing bladed/muscle-back irons (Rory & DJ) are playing the TP5x. The only one that breaks that theory is Jason Day as he plays the P750 irons with the TP5x balls. It will be telling if Rose switches to the TP5x ball when he switches to his prototype blades. Hopefully someone with more engineering / club knowledge can confirm/reject the notion that the blades could be the factor.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
I'm on the east coast in Virginia
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I was curious why u seem to desire a lower ball flight thought maybe u lived in a windy part of company. McIlroy chose the X cuz of how it performs in wind thought maybe u n same boat. Higher ball flight also helps stop ball usually it the guys with lower ball flight looking for more spin for shot stopping. Midwest is windy thought maybe u was Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma or Texas or something.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
I don't get as much time to hit the range / play since my wife gave birth to our third a couple months ago but I should borrow my brothers cavity back irons and see what the numbers show. I do know that if I hit a couple grooves low on my current muscle back irons they really ramp up the spin and even though the ball comes out low and fast the ball leaves a nasty ball mark & stops quick. My previous cavity back irons never did that.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
I carry M2 Driver & 3 Wood, M1 3 hybrid which sometimes I switch out for the RBZ 3 iron had for while. Prefer irons over woods and hybrids. 4 - PW PSI, 50°, 54° & 58° TP Gunmetal Wedges I have had for about 15 years that I absolutely love. Sharpen grooves regularly. I keep them sharper than new wdges lol.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
As for ball flight, we do get windy days being near the coast but that's not the reason why I play the irons I have. I played Taylormade and Mizuno cavity back irons for a couple decades and hit them decent. When I hit this smaller headed muscle-back I fell in love. I prefer the smaller head and thin top line because it makes me concentrate more and I seem to be able to get through the rough better with it. Additionally, I love the immediate feedback I get when I hit the ball. At impact I know if I hit it thin, off the toe, or if I pured it simply from the feel. Nothing is more buttery soft than puring them and nothing stings more than a thin shot on a cold day.. Lol. The penetrating ballflight is an unintended bonus.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
That's a nice bag of clubs. My current bag is:
2016 m2 driver
Taylormade SLDR mini driver
2016 M1 2-hybrid
Mizuno hybrid 4 & 5
Orka RS3 irons in 6 -PW
Orka RS10 52 degree gap wedge
MD3 56 & 60 degree wedges

I have a 3 wood but I hit the M1 hybrid off the deck better so I usually have the mini driver in the bag for tight driving holes (it's essentially a 2 wood).
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Kids seem to have that effect! Lol. Ya I prefer thin line myself. I still get high ball flight with my PSI irons with XS tour shafts. I just naturally hit it high which is great for distance and stopping ball but wouldn't be good at all in Texas or the Plains states!
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Don't know much about orka only second time I heard of them actually. You like them?
0 Kudos