TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

ChrisV
Contributor
One of dudes I play with reguarly hits Mizuno Blades he loves them he a leftie tho so I've never hit them.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
To be honest, I happened upon the brand and they are attractive clubs. They are made over in England and they use forged Japanese steel like Miura so they have a very soft feel. The problem is that there's very few fitters who sell them in the States. That's one reason I'm hoping to try the Rors proto blades when they hit the market as there are plenty of Taylormade fitters who can get me set up properly. I am playing much better since switching to them though.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Earlier in year all the talk was TW irons after he signed with TM but hadn't heard anything in months just Rory irons. So far he not a good marketing tool way he's playing.
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Stiff or XS?
0 Kudos
ChrisV
Contributor
Did u test the M1&M2 Driver when u made purchase? I didn't care for M1 I hit M2 much better and has better feel.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
For my irons I play stiff flex. For the M2 I have the same aldila rogue silver shaft in stiff and x-stiff for it. The fitting said the x-stiff performed better but if I swing easier with the stiff flex I perform better on the course. For me, the m2 felt better and performed a little better for me. I was afraid that if I got the m1 I would constantly be tinkering with the weights which would be detrimental to my game!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I did some additional TP5 vs TP5x testing a couple weeks ago. My initial choice of the TP5 was based on how it performed off the driver and around the greens, so this time I wanted to focus on the long irons and see if I was leaving any yards on the table. I also spent some time with wedges to see how the ball reacted on the greens. When I tested the balls in early spring, I couldn't stop the TP5x with a wedge (a result that made no sense at the time).

Test shots: 5-iron from 200 yards into flat green. 

TP5: 190 carry, 201 total

TP5x: 194 carry, 212 total

Results: The TP5x flew noticeably higher and carried farther, but it didn't stop as quickly as I had hoped given the height of the shot.

Test shots: 100 yards to flat green

TP5: 3 yards hop/stop

TP5x: 4 yards hop/stop

Results: No appreciable difference between the two balls, as anticipated.

Conclusions: Hitting a few shots with each ball from a given distance isn't entirely scientific, but I appear to be giving up a full club in total distance in the long irons by playing the TP5. However, the TP5 stops quicker for me and is only a little less than a half club shorter in carry. Given my preference for the TP5 off the driver and around the greens, I didn't see anything that makes me change my choice of ball. I'll be sticking with the TP5.

Frequent Contributor
I totally hate giving you a Kudo for this important ball information… But you confirmed with data what I felt since I first tested the Proto 5/5X last December. TP 5X is the longer of the two balls. But I'm very happy with the carry that I get from the TP5. I have stated that I thought that I caught jumpers with the TP5X, in actuality I might have been seeing the unexpected distance I was getting from the TP5X over the TP5.

Good stuff Jesse! 🙄
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I do not have any data off from launch monitors since switching to the TP5x but I am a full club longer than I was previously with my M2 tour irons. I went from 155y 7i to a 165y 7i. I was playing the TP5 for a few rounds and tried a buddy's TP5x and was hooked instantly. Made the 5witch and never looked back. I always played a TM ball and was set for a while with the Project (a). That is still a great ball but there is just no comparison to the TP5x for me.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jll62 wrote:

I did some additional TP5 vs TP5x testing a couple weeks ago. My initial choice of the TP5 was based on how it performed off the driver and around the greens, so this time I wanted to focus on the long irons and see if I was leaving any yards on the table. I also spent some time with wedges to see how the ball reacted on the greens. When I tested the balls in early spring, I couldn't stop the TP5x with a wedge (a result that made no sense at the time).

Test shots: 5-iron from 200 yards into flat green. 

TP5: 190 carry, 201 total

TP5x: 194 carry, 212 total

Results: The TP5x flew noticeably higher and carried farther, but it didn't stop as quickly as I had hoped given the height of the shot.

Test shots: 100 yards to flat green

TP5: 3 yards hop/stop

TP5x: 4 yards hop/stop

Results: No appreciable difference between the two balls, as anticipated.

Conclusions: Hitting a few shots with each ball from a given distance isn't entirely scientific, but I appear to be giving up a full club in total distance in the long irons by playing the TP5. However, the TP5 stops quicker for me and is only a little less than a half club shorter in carry. Given my preference for the TP5 off the driver and around the greens, I didn't see anything that makes me change my choice of ball. I'll be sticking with the TP5.

I've been plopping down some TP5x during some more casual rounds the past few weeks and it definitely has my attention. On some days I strike it in a way that gets crazy spinny. When this happens I have definitely noticed the TP5x helping keep that manageable. I've also noticed all around more distance with TP5x which I don't necessarily care about.

Honestly, I'm one of the few guys in TM marketing that plays the 5 and I essentially always play with coworkers so its nice to have the black number to quickly recognize my ball. Also, the demand for 5x around here make TP5s pretty easy to come by which is another huge perk. Vainly, I also love black on black so aesthetically, TP5 looks better to me. 

Lastly, I love crazy soft feel. There is a chance I put the P790s in play and less distance would actually be a benefit as said irons are about a 1/2 club longer than the 770s. If you're a big hitter who generates a ton of spin though, it's tough not to play TP5x. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf