TP5x ball retail vs tour

birdieman
New Contributor

Is the TP5x ball that consumers buy in retail same as the ones used by tour pros?

A search on the USGA site can show that there are three different versions of TP5x balls. I doubt the only difference is the sight line marking on the ball.

Taylormade staff- please detail the differences between these versions. 

It's ethicially dubious to sell something to consumers making them think they are using the exact same product as the pros...maybe they are...but I'm not sure...

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.30.46 PM.png

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

All of our TP5/TP5x golf balls come out of our ball plant in South Carolina which is where our consumer TP5/TP5x golf balls come from as well. The Tour balls come from the same line that produces the consumer balls, they just go through more rigorous testing to ensure they are 100% compliant with Tour equipment standards (99.9% of them are). From there we place the athlete's preference of number and alignment aid. 

Pulling tour balls from production is actually more of a rarity in the industry and some competitors have a specific production line for their tour product. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
birdieman
New Contributor

If the tour balls are manufactured with the same specs and come from the same line as retail balls, and are merely selected from the same batch, then why are there 3 different versions of TP5x on the USGA list?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

As I mentioned in the previous post, the TP5x balls you are referencing are pulled from our only production line. Our tour athletes have the luxury of choosing their alignment stamp which is hopefully something we offer to consumers in the future. The image you shared is considering the alignment stamps as different balls (IE. -------TP5x-------, ◂◂◂ TP5x ▸▸▸). They are all the same TP5x ball but with different alignment stamps. 

Does that make sense?

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
It is great to see the different alignment aid on the new ball this year, although I really like the 2018 version line. It will be a nice easy way to tell the difference between the new and old TP5/TP5x. Similar to Project(a) with the different color text.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos