Taylormade M1 (2016) 3 wood versus M1 (2017) 3 wood

Frequent Contributor

Good evening,

I've been mixing up the top end of my bag as I'm not nearly as consistent with my driver as I would like to be. I hit my 3 wood (older Adams tight lies) decent off a small tee but am not consistent enough to hit it off a fairway. As such, I've pulled it out of my bag and currently have an M2 (2016) driver, an SLDR mini driver, and a M1(2016) 2 hybrid. The mini driver is my go to on days where I am struggling with my M2 which fortunately is happening less often. The M1 hybrid is great off a small tee and better off the fairway. The mini driver is harder to hit off a fairway than the 3 wood so I only use it off the tee. I really want to work a 3 wood back into the bag in place of the mini driver. When I got fitted for my M2 I also picked up the same Aldila Rogue shaft for a 3 wood. My thinking is that I could potentially add weight to the M2 head and use that shaft if I wanted to start with a shorter driver and eventually move to the longer shaft in my driver and pick up a M1 fairway head to go with the 3 wood shaft. I'm playing the longer shaft well in my M2 so I want to get a 3 wood head. I cannot find anywhere to get just a head from a retailer but I've seen a few slightly used heads for sale on auction sites. My question for those who have hit these two heads is whether I should just get the 2016 M1 3wood head or if there's a reason to get the 2017. Thanks in advance for the input!

0 Kudos
foggie200

Hi Seaghan,

I would definitely suggest you using the M1 2017 FW. One of the key aspects for the newer model is that the weight is sitting futher back in the head. This will help you being more consistend in your strokes and getting the ball airbone more offen of the deck. 

best regards

florian

Koung
Occasional Contributor

Equipment isn't going to help you much in this case and it sounds like you have some faults in your swing. If you put the money towards a lesson or two I bet they can get you at least to a point where you can hit your current equipment with some sort of confidence. I have only recently learned to hit my driver with any sort of consistency and since I have tried all sorts of drivers and was able to hit them all quite well. You can do what you like with your money obviously, but if the top end of your bag is that bad I would try and learn to hit the current clubs. There isn't a club out there that will magically make you able to get a consistent swing.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
It is going on 2 years of lessons and I have certainly seen really good improvement. I know my swing and swing faults well. It is probably more of a confidence issue but certain clubs give more confidence than others. I appreciate the information about the weight being further back on the 2017 model to help get the ball in the air. That was more of what I was hoping to learn. I find fairway woods with a smaller heads that sit lower to the ground gives me more confidence.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@Seaghan wrote:
It is going on 2 years of lessons and I have certainly seen really good improvement. I know my swing and swing faults well. It is probably more of a confidence issue but certain clubs give more confidence than others. I appreciate the information about the weight being further back on the 2017 model to help get the ball in the air. That was more of what I was hoping to learn. I find fairway woods with a smaller heads that sit lower to the ground gives me more confidence.

I'd definitely favor the M2 fairway if you're looking for something new. M1 fairways typically cater to the better player. M2 is easier to hit IMO. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Frequent Contributor
Thanks Allan,
I'm going to hit it at my local golf shop as they have both the M1 and M2 fairway demo clubs. Thanks for the recommendation.. Easier to hit is what I need!
0 Kudos
TK3309
Contributor

What 3 wood did you end up with Seaghan? I had been playing the 2016 M1 3 wood at 13* but recently recived a 2017 3HL 17*. I put the HL 3 wood in a shorter shaft and set the loft to 15* and I couldn't be happier. With the shorter shaft/more loft I'm still getting similar distances and similar trajectory. The new fairway wood heads feel a lot more crisp and the ball seems to stay in the air just a fraction longer. With how much I love the 2017 fairway woods I'm already tempted to find a 2017 M1 driver as I'm still playing the 2016. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Good afternoon,
To be honest I still haven't decided on one yet because I haven't been able to get out and practice as much with the new baby. I need to go try the new M1 and M2 3-woods out. I currently just have a mini driver (essentially a 2 wood) which I carry for hitting off the tee on tight holes and a 2016 M1 2-iron hybrid that I use for long shots off the fairway.
0 Kudos