What is your favorite ball and why?

rjmattingly
Contributor

Just curious what your favorite ball is and why? Does not have to be TaylorMade and really curious why? 

I am still trying to narrow down a ball. I am on a budget and still lose to many balls to go high end. I have tried the NXT tour, Callway supersoft, and the Taylormade project (a) this year. 

I am looking to decrease spin off the drive. (I am still working on fixing my slice) but I hit enough greens that I do not want to give up feel and spin on that part of the game. 

I am looking forward to reading all the responses. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@rjmattingly wrote:

Just curious what your favorite ball is and why? Does not have to be TaylorMade and really curious why? 

I am still trying to narrow down a ball. I am on a budget and still lose to many balls to go high end. I have tried the NXT tour, Callway supersoft, and the Taylormade project (a) this year. 

I am looking to decrease spin off the drive. (I am still working on fixing my slice) but I hit enough greens that I do not want to give up feel and spin on that part of the game. 

I'm an employee so obviously a bit biased, but Tour Preferred and Pro V are so good off the tee and around the greens because they are one of the few balls out there to feature a cast urethane cover. Project (a) also uses that technology in a 3 piece ball. While it will spin a little more off the tee than a TP or Pro V (5 piece tech helps with less spin off the tee), for Project (a)s pricepoint, it will spin about the same off the tee as other balls in its price range. It's also designed to help ams pull off shots pros do with the premium Tour balls so it could be a little too spinny around the greens if you have a scratch caliber shortgame. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
roofusxavier
Occasional Contributor

I've switched between 4 different balls in the last 2 years. Pro's and Cons to each.

Bridgestone B330: Great off the tee and I like the feel of the ball while putting. A little light on the spin around the greens though.

Chromesoft: Feels great across all shots. Better spin around the greens than the B330 but not by a ton. 

Prov1x: Great feel. Plenty of spin around the greens (sometimes more than I'd like)

Vice Pro Plus: Very similar to the Prov1x. At around a 6 handicap I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. Also the price is pretty stellar when buying 3-5 dozen along with easy customization options.

The B330 and Vice Pro Plus are probably my favorite of the 2 with the Vice winning by a narrow margin.

I plan on trying the Project(a) or Snell next.

lentscher
Occasional Contributor

I'm not an employee but I'm a big fan of the TaylorMade tour preferred balls. I normally stock up during black friday sales. I recently scored a free sample sleeve from Taylormade of Project(a) balls and am looking forward to playing them. I really like ProV1s but I feel like the TPs give the same proformance for a better price. I'm also looking forward to trying out some Vice Pro balls. I'm hoping that my brothers will go in on some with me so I can get the discounted bulk price. I may have to buy their sample pack before commiting even though I'm really only interested in the Pro and Pro+. I think once you go with a urethane ball it's hard to go back. The feel around the greens just makes such a difference. 

Highlighted
Bad_At_Golf
Occasional Contributor

Like most others, I game a Project(a) ball. I liked them a lot better when they were cheaper, but I think the Canadian dollar being so weak has caused retailers to bump the price up this season. $45CAD/12 this year. Pretty sure they were introduced at $35CAD/12 last year. An extra $.83 a ball adds up when you lose them like I do. Smiley LOL

Primetime7
Occasional Contributor

Im generally a titleist fan boy when it comes to balls. For some reason my clubs dont like taylormade balls. I cant understand it. Im lucky enough to live near oakmont and I am constantly finding TM tour preffered balls. For some reason I consistently hit them into the woods. If im buying balls its normally the DT TruSoft.

jimmycoola
Occasional Contributor

I'm playing Q Stars at the moment after moving up from DT Trusofts. I needed some more spin around the greens since that's where my game is strongest so far, but I still need the low spin off the tee

Frequent Contributor

I have played mostly TM balls since the TP Red days. I really like the new TPX ball. I think it has enough inprovements over the '14 TPX. Is it the best TM ball ever? I still have fond memories of the Lethal ball. I just may have a bad memory. The current ball probably has a better, more durable cover. But I have a feeling the driver spin was higher on the Lethal.

TPX  #11 for me and Project a when temps drop below 50*.

iPhone pics 5-25-2016 1440.JPG

tvrepairex
New Contributor

For the most part I play Srixon Q stars in yellow ,but am also trying the Callaway Chrome soft yellow /black Truvis.I play yellow balls because at 65 yrs or age, I can just see them better .

@rjmattingly wrote:

0 Kudos

T/Made sponsored Mens Night at our Club. I was given a 2pack of both TP5 and TP5X.  For me with a slower swing speed the TP5 is just longer/straighter than the competitor's ball i've played for 30yrs. The TP5 for me is just that much better !!! At the Canadian Open I followed Dustin Johnson on Pro-Am Day. He teed off EARLY with a very small group following him and was friendly and responded when asked about the new t/made ball. Again for me the TP5 is the best ball !!! I took 6dozen balls from your competitor back to my pro shop and exchanged them for TP5'S. GREAT BALL GREAT PERFORMANCE ENOUGH SAID ... OH OH THANKS T/MADE !!!

0 Kudos