What length do you play your TP or P790 Driving Iron?

Regular Contributor

What length do you play your driving iron at? I am currently playing the P790 UDI at the stock 40" with the PX HZRDUS Black 85g. Off the tee the length is great, but seems a bit long when I am off the deck. Leads to heavy shots from time to time. Any suggestions?

I am considering going a little shorter with the club to avoid some of the heavy shots off the deck. I do not mess with club length much, and wonder what performance issues I may see if I just hack of some length on the butt end of the PX shaft and re-grip. According to the TM site, the P790 UDI in steel is .75" shorter. 

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I still have an original Tour Preferred UDI 2 in the bag with a C-Taper Lite shaft and play it at 39.25". I use it off the turf, so I want a slightly shorter length. It has to feel like an progression of my irons.  I just ordered a P790 UDI 2 with a Steelfiber i95 and that is going to be 39.25", as well.

I should note that when I replace the UDI with a hybrid for certain courses, my hybrid is also a little shorter than standard for the same reasons.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@jll62 Do you preffer the steel shaft over a graphite? I always felt the 40" HZRDUS was a bit long but it was standard length when I ordered the P790 UDI this year. I do not want it to cost distance if I cut it down, but do want better fairway shots so I am willing to change that a little as I do not play a hybrid currently. 

What are your suggestions for cutting it down, just remove it from the but, or get a new shaft at the playing length I want? I am not sure how just removing length at the butt affects performance.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@MCGolfTM wrote:

@jll62 Do you preffer the steel shaft over a graphite? I always felt the 40" HZRDUS was a bit long but it was standard length when I ordered the P790 UDI this year. I do not want it to cost distance if I cut it down, but do want better fairway shots so I am willing to change that a little as I do not play a hybrid currently. 

What are your suggestions for cutting it down, just remove it from the but, or get a new shaft at the playing length I want? I am not sure how just removing length at the butt affects performance.

It's all about what fits you. When I did some work with my fitter last year, we shortented my hybrid and I ended up hitting it farther because my strike was better. A 40" UDI might fit you best, or maybe a shorter one will.

Given your experience off the turf, I'd say you should start by butt trimming 0.5" and see if it improves contact. Keep in mind, doing so will reduce the swing weight by ~3 points, so you may have to add some lead tape to get things back to spec.

I have nothing against graphite in a driving iron; I'm just used to steel. That's one reason why I went with the Steelfiber in the P790 UDI I just ordered. I didn't want to go all the way down to 85g (from 115g), so I picked something in middle in both weight and performance.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Looks I will need to do some testing with the shortened shaft. Why would the stanard length for a steel shaft be .75" shorter than the graphite? According to the custom shop on TM site, thats the difference in shaft length between standard length steel and standard length graphite.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@MCGolfTM wrote:

Looks I will need to do some testing with the shortened shaft. Why would the stanard length for a steel shaft be .75" shorter than the graphite? According to the custom shop on TM site, thats the difference in shaft length between standard length steel and standard length graphite.

In general, clubs with steel shafts are shorter beause the heavier steel shafts increase the static weight. If you go longer, you need to offset that with ligher club heads, but you can only take that so far before the head can't be any lighter.

Graphite gave companies the ability to build longer clubs that could help consumers gain a little club head speed due to using a longer lever. It's simple physics, but you still need to be able to time the ball at impact and make a good strike. Some can do this better than others. It's all about your own personal fit.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am hesitant to cut the shaft and mess with the swing weight as I have heard on the forums that one of the negatives to the P790 UDI is the head is too light. This causes many to struggle with swing weight for certain custom build setups.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't know what to tell you. Either you butt trim the shaft 0.5" and add lead tape to bring the swing weight back up, or you leave the club as is and keep having the issues you're having. It's not something that needs a lot of discussion. If you want to change the performance, you have to try something different.

The headweight is only too light when you just cut the shaft without adding mass back to the head to offset the length change. But that's no different than any other club when you shorten it. If you don't like the look of lead tape, you can always pull the shaft and use a tip weight once you settle on how much weight you need to add back.

0 Kudos