Why are new driver's shaft lenght 45.75.

bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

how is the club swingweight adjusted with shaft ordered at 44.50

0 Kudos
putts2much
New Contributor

I have the same question, as I would like to order the M3 driver at 44.5"

Will they just cut the shaft and have the SW in the C range?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

Let me elaborate on the subject. I am a club builder & fitter. When I fit a golfer, grip size & shaft lenght are paramount to this process. Hitting the club on the sweet spot  is the most important factor. In the 80's to 90's driver lenght's were 44.0  in. , headweights were about 205 grams & swingweighted to D1-D2. Lighter grips & shaft weight allowed lower total club weight,  thus faster swing speed, distance. F=M times A. M being club head mass, A being cubhead speed. F is golf ball velocity. Increasing shaft lenght, will increase clubhead speed. The clubhead weighting must be increased, & put exactly in the right positions to enhance the clubhead designs. The overall clubhead weight should be increased. The result should be different heads for shaft lenght decrease.

0 Kudos
bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

I probably did not explain the fitting process as clearly as I wanted. My objective is to educate. If you are going to spend $500 plus for a new driver & looking for a deal, be advised look at club specs. before you purchase. Over 70% of most male golfers fit to a shaft lenght of 44-45in. Also grip size 1-2 wraps buildup tape. If the standard shaft is cut more than 1 in., the club swingweight will be too low & the clubhead will feel too light. you need shaft lag to release the club head for the maximum distance. the swingweight should to converted to D1-D2. A midsize grip will reduce swingweight but it is not necessary to increase the clubhead weight. Conclusion, the longer the shaft lenght the more flatter the swing plane must be. This starting to sound like a class. Feel free to post if you would like any fitting recommendations.

0 Kudos
Blazevan
New Contributor

Can you tell me what to do to shorten a 45.75 M2 by 1 inch to keep the swingweight the same?  I ask because ordering a new shaft might not be feesable at this time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

Reply to cutting shaft lenght by 1 in.  The shaft at 45.75 standard swingweight will be D4. When you trim the shaft by 1 in. the swingweight will be reduced by 6 pts. You convert the swingweight to D1-D2. I do not know how the factory does it exactly, but most of the time tour van techs will install a hot melt or glue into a weight port. I dont agree totally with this process because the center of gravity is lowered. Sometimes this affects the clubs design caracteristics. The right fix would be a different weight head. Do not do something that forces you buy a driver, because the head feels too light. It is to your advantage to know how golf clubs are built. You can keep buying new clubs that are fit wrong. I suggest demo days to go to & get fitted correctly. If you have a good fitter who cares about you to get best results. If not see a club professional to help. good luck!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@bookie5153wrote:

Reply to cutting shaft lenght by 1 in.  The shaft at 45.75 standard swingweight will be D4. When you trim the shaft by 1 in. the swingweight will be reduced by 6 pts. You convert the swingweight to D1-D2. I do not know how the factory does it exactly, but most of the time tour van techs will install a hot melt or glue into a weight port. I dont agree totally with this process because the center of gravity is lowered. Sometimes this affects the clubs design caracteristics. The right fix would be a different weight head. Do not do something that forces you buy a driver, because the head feels too light. It is to your advantage to know how golf clubs are built. You can keep buying new clubs that are fit wrong. I suggest demo days to go to & get fitted correctly. If you have a good fitter who cares about you to get best results. If not see a club professional to help. good luck!

Adding 4g of hot melt will change the swing weight by about 2 points. That amount of weight is not going to change the CG of the club enough to be noticeable. It takes more weight than that to have a material impact on the CG.

0 Kudos
bookie5153
Occasional Contributor

Dear readers, the reply information was incorrect. Changing shaft lenght by 1/2 inch, is three swing points. Each point is 2-3 grams.  weight change is 8-9 grams total. Check out specs of Cobra F8 Tour driver. 44.50 in. Factory adds 8 grams of weight compared to 45.00 standard F8.  Cutting shaft by 1 inch will affect balance point & will play alittle stiffer without proper weight change. Remember when driver's standard lenght was 44 inches with titanium heads circa 90's.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you order from our custom shop, any sort of alterations to shaft, grip, wraps, length etc will be swing-weighted and appropriate weights will be added to get swingweight back to the spec listen on our website. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
golf7108

I have a M1 driver with a regular shaft weigh around 55 grams. The club came with a  regular shaft at 60 grams.

I have the head set at 12 degrees loft. I am 10 hadicap an lately have stuggled to carry the ball more that 200 yards. Should I look at a stiffer shaft?

0 Kudos