Do you putt or chip from the fringe?

Super Contributor
Different situations call for different shots, but in general, do you putt or chip from the fringe. Is there anything you see when sizing up the shot that helps you make the decision one way or the other?

I was always one to putt from the fringe in the past. Once my chipping greenside improved, I almost always chip from the fringe. Tonight was the first time in a long time that I chose to putt instead of chip. This was in league match play with a spot in the championship on the line. With a shot up to the second tier with no room for rollout I decided I had to putt as I could not stop the ball chipping.

The shot worked out very well, rolling up the slope and across the heavy right to left break for a tap in par. I was most worried about my distance control up the slope, with the break, and through the fringe, but the SpiderX got the job done and helped secure a spot in the championship for my playing partner and I.

#TeamTaylorMade
Highlighted
notdrj
Occasional Contributor

Great question!  For me, it depends and is 100% situational like you said.  The biggest factor for me is the type of course and the type of grass(es) involved in the shot.  During the #MadeForScotland trip that I won through TaylorMade (I will never stop thanking TM for that trip! lol), Darren Clarke encouraged us to always keep the ball on the ground as much as possible on links courses - you can never go wrong with that, and I 100% agree.  I recently played all 4 courses at Bandon Dunes, and the same principles applied there.

However, in the US, it's definitely more complicated.  So much of the game needs to be played through the air here.  Living in FL for a few years and dealing with grainy Bermuda grass around the greens definitely made me terrified of chipping around the greens.  I had some low bounce wedges that I had gotten used to living/playing on the West Coast that just did not work in Florida - it was a disaster bc they dug way too much.  The good news is, I got *really* good at putting from like 10-30 yards off the green on Bermuda (thank you TM Spider Tour!), but I knew it wasn't sustainable.  Getting the MG wedge in the high bounce, rounded/wide sole has definitely helped rebuild my confidence around the greens, no matter what type of grass - so the confidence has brought chipping back into play which makes me think about it more.  I think that's mostly a good thing.

So my general rule of thumb now is that if I only need to go through green/fringe and wedge spin will hurt more than help (uphill, lots of green to go through, etc), I'm putting it just about every time.  But if I need to go through "sticky" grass where the speed difference between the green and that grass is too wide, I'll use my HB 56* to chip.  I'll only use the 60* if I have to get it up in the air and stop it quick with spin - I try not to use that shot too much, but it's nice to have that shot back in my arsenal!

Super Contributor
Thanks for your take on the topic. When I’m chipping around the greens I am only using my MG 50* wedge. I don’t have good a feel and distance control with my P770 PW for these shots, and gave up on chipping with the MG 54* and Hi Toe 60* a long time ago. The result was never good when using anything above 50*, and I am way more accurate and consistent with the bump and run than the flop and stop.

#TeamTaylorMade