Hardest Par 4 on Tour

Community Manager
Community Manager

You guys all watch plenty of golf - PGA TOUR, European Tour, etc.

What do you think is the hardest par 4 they play? Course? Hole? and why.

Here's a contender from this week's European Tour event at the Hero Indian Open. It's the DLF G&CC in New Delhi and it's the 17th which is a 414 yard par 4 uphill.

Can you spot the pin? Smiley LOL

GettyImages-928323482.jpg

@ryanlauder66
Regular Contributor

Wow...better make sure to double-check the slope adjustments in your yardage book during practice rounds. How deep is that green? I wonder how precise you need to be with the approach shot.

For me, I think Hole 11 at Augusta is one of the most difficult they play all year. Ever since the extra length was added, it plays a half a shot over par. The uphill tee shot is no gimme and requires a fade, but you can't miss it right in the trees. Even if you find the fairway, you've got a long downhill shot into a green where things want to funnel down to the greenside pond. There's plenty of room to bail out right, but that leaves an almost impossible up and down for some of those hole locations.

I'm good friends with the 2015 US Mid-Amateur champion and he said Hole 11 was just brutal to play in competition.

Highlighted
rbauchman
Contributor

Man, that hole in the picture looks brutal...definitely can't spot the pin! I'd say hardest par 4 on Tour is the 12th hole on Torrey Pines South measuring out at a little over 500 yards. I may be a little biased because it's my home course, but it's hard hitting into the wind coming off the ocean and then you have the paragliders in the background as a distraction. It also proves to be the hardest stats wise, with the highest scoring average of 4.41 at the Farmers Insurance Open this year - and no eagles, 17 birdies, 163 pars, 116 bogeys, and 14 doubles to boot!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

12 is pretty tough especially since it's usually into a breeze. Have you played Rams Hill yet? I think it's 15 that's a 510 yard par 4 that's slightly uphill and into a pretty steady wind. Thing is an absolute beast. 

As for tour, 10 at Riv all day! Love watching Tour pros look like mortals on a 300 yard par 4. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
rbauchman
Contributor

I haven't played Rams Hill yet, but will put it on my list of tracks I need to check out in East SD County. Thanks for the tip! I imagine those desert winds can be absolutely brutal!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yeah definitely try to play in the morning if possible, though my afternoon rounds have never been horrid. Also, had a 5 footer for birdie on 12 at torrey south yesterday and your comment came to mind as i was walking up to the hole. Sally whacked the putt but luckily caught a piece and dropped it. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
rbauchman
Contributor

Nice work! Torrey South can really mess with your head.

0 Kudos