Home Course + Best You Ever Played

jimmycoola
Occasional Contributor

Wow! What a small world. Greens have apparently slowed up since then but they're going to rebuild the greens over the next few years. Very exciting!

0 Kudos
Bad_At_Golf
Occasional Contributor

@jimmycoola Be sure to have a pint of Resch's for me after your next round! My absolute favorite beer, and there's no way to get it back here in Canada!

0 Kudos
itsthejor
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure I can claim one course as my "home course" but if I had to pick one, it'd probably be Arrowwood or The Crossings. Unlike most folks in Carlsbad who despise the place, I actually enjoy it.

As fas as my favorite, I'm going with three (go ahead, judge me):

1. Kingsbarns: (easily the best golfing experience I've ever had)

2. Sahalee Country Club: having grown up in Lake Tahoe, I love playing tree-lined courses and every hole at Sahalee felt like a unique experience .

3. Olympic Club: Place speaks for itself. Plus, it's got the best food at the turn. If you don't know what that is, you're missing out! 

Communications Manager, TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

My home course is tough to choose because I end up playing a lot of par 3 courses due to time constraints. In the area (central Virginia), the full course I play the most is Sycamore Creek which is fun to play. The best course I've played is a four way tie for several reasons. The most nostalgic is "The Woods Course" at Kingsmill. I was a grounds keeper there and many know 'The River Course' which the PGA used to play and now the LPGA play for the Michelob Open. The Woods Course is their private course and was the best of the three in my opinion. The toughest, and most humbling course was the Greg Norman Course at Lansdowne. I played there on a windy day and the greens had been freshly cut and rolled and we had several putts that went off the green. It kicked our butts and gave me more admiration for the pros. I was the best man in my best friend's wedding and got to play the Arnold Palmer designed 'Belmont' in northern Virginia and it was simply beautiful and a memorable day. I was on track to break 90 for the first time but we had 3 holes left and had to rush to get cleaned up for the rehearsal dinner. I'll never forget making a 25 foot putt with a huge right to left swing on the 9th hole for par and my best friend chipped close and tapped in for par as well. The course I want to play again is Kilmarlic Golf Course in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It is a challenging but fun course which was perfectly groomed and the southern hospitality was amazing. They treated everyone like they were a member. My bucket list trip is going up the coasts of Ireland & Scotland and playing links courses by day and enjoying the pubs by night!

0 Kudos
BL
Contributor

Play mostly around San Diego.  Home course is Barona Creek, though I play mostly at Admiral Baker.  

As far as best I've ever played... I've played 15 of Golfweek's Top 50 Classic Courses (Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Merion, Pebble Beach, Seminole, Plainfield, Somerset Hills, The Country Club, Myopia Hunt, Pasatiempo, Newport, Wannamoisett, Kittansett, Eastward Ho, & Yale).   I've never been so nervous on the course as I was standing on the first tee at St. Andrews.  I played around Ireland while living there for a couple years.   It's tough to pick the one course that's the best - if I had to, it's either Cypress Point or Royal County Down or Pine Valley or St. Andrews or many others.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@BL wrote:

Play mostly around San Diego.  Home course is Barona Creek, though I play mostly at Admiral Baker.  

As far as best I've ever played... I've played 15 of Golfweek's Top 50 Classic Courses (Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Merion, Pebble Beach, Seminole, Plainfield, Somerset Hills, The Country Club, Myopia Hunt, Pasatiempo, Newport, Wannamoisett, Kittansett, Eastward Ho, & Yale).   I've never been so nervous on the course as I was standing on the first tee at St. Andrews.  I played around Ireland while living there for a couple years.   It's tough to pick the one course that's the best - if I had to, it's either Cypress Point or Royal County Down or Pine Valley or St. Andrews or many others.  

Winner^^. Assuming you'll play Augusta and Oakmont in the near future, give me a holler if you need a 4th. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DennisMiller
Contributor

I don't really have a home course. I play public couorses all over Miami, pretty much depending on who I'm playing with and where we haven't been in a while.

The 3 courses near my home are Killian Greens, Palmetto and Miccosukee.

Killian Greens was a dog track, but it's much improved with the new ownership having invested what it always needed. It's linear through houses with water in play on 11 holes. There's OB left and right on every hole.

Palmetto is owned by the county and it's a big, very well kept course with some water, but mostly sand getting in my way.

Miccosukee is owned by the Indian tribe by the same name. It used to host the Web.Com championship tournament at the end of the season. It's 27 holes with a lot of water and bunkers, but the condition is so good, I feel badly about taking a divot.

Somewhat close is Biltmore, where there was a famous pro tournament in the 20s. Anyone from that era you've ever heard of played the Biltmore. Miami Springs is by the Miami International Airport and it used to host the Miami Open from the 30a through the early 50s. Again, anyone prominent on tour played there too. It's kind of cool to read the plaques and trophies on the walls and realize you are walking on the same ground where the likes of Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan and the rest all made a living.

I haven't played many famous courses. I've played Doral, all the courses there, but honestly, the Blue is just long and boring. I don't get any of the emotional charge at Doral like I do from playing Biltmore or Miami Springs.

I've played a couple courses where the tour used to hold Q-School... Eagle Ridge in Gilroy, California and the TPC at Heron Bay. I've played Inverrary, where the Honda was once held and the old Jackie Gleason tournament was played.

I grew up in Louisville, Ky and on my bucket list to go back and play some of the courses I grew up on. A buddy there says he will get us on Vahallah, so I hope to play there sometime in the spring.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

My home course if Fairview Farm Golf Course in CT. 

The best course I ever played was Royal Hawaiian in Oahu, Hawaii. Absolutely stunning course, if you ever have a chance to go, do not hesitate!

IMG_2428.JPGIMG_2447.JPGIMG_2448.JPGIMG_2466.JPGIMG_2475.JPG

#TeamTaylorMade
paull
New Contributor

Good topic Smiley Happy

Home course is the closest to home -- Woods Valley in Valley Center, CA.  It's a five-minute drive, which is great when the wife lets me sneak out for a twilight round on Sunday afternoons.

Best course...hmm.  Got to play St. Andrews in 2003, and while the history and tradition were great, it was March, 40F, and raining.  Played TPC courses in Palm Springs and Hawaii and Florida.  But my favorite...

I very luckily got to play the K Club in Ireland 3 months before the Ryder Cup in 2006, and it was in such outstanding shape, and was so challenging/rewarding, that I'd have to put it at #1.  Can't wait to go back!

0 Kudos
eagerpilot
New Contributor

I live in Myrtle Beach SC and while I play all up and down the Grand Strand, my "home" course would probably be Man O'War (part of the Mystical group. It's one of the few courses down here with bent grass greens, and while it's tough to take care of them in the hot summer, they're still a great surface to putt on.

Best course ever? I'd have to call it a tie between 1) Carnoustie which I played when stationed in the UK with the USAF and 2) Bethpage Black which I played while living and working in CT. 

0 Kudos