Home Course + Best You Ever Played

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DennisMiller
Contributor

Do we need to stand in like to be envious? Or thanks to the internet, can we just be envious online?

If I lived in Myrtle Beach, I'd be darn near the most useless human being on earth. You couldn't get me to work. I'd just want to play golf all the time.

0 Kudos
stretchnout
New Contributor

My Home course is Oak Creek Golf Club in Maryland.  I have been fortunate this year to play alot and we recently played Streamsong Blue and Red (outstanding) then a few weeks later went to Arnold Palmers Bay Hill resort.  Both of these are a must do for golfers.  The hardest course I ever played was Oakmont CC .  I am a +1 and I shot 78, no trees and no water. just a beast.  Nver have seen greens that fast, drop a ball in the middle of the green and it would roll 30 feet...

0 Kudos
Billybobb
New Contributor

My Home course was the Black at Bethpage on Long Island NY. I started caddying and took their "caddie course" at age 12. I learned the finer points of caddying, to always call my golfer "Mr. ......". I learned how to hold the pin and where my shadow should be. I remember every word. I caddied for 10 more years helping pay for college..

The same year on the same course I learned to play golf. Caddies played free on Monday's but the pull cart was a quarter I think. When you're getting $1.50 a round to carry one bag, golf was expensive to a 12 year old. Yes we played other course at Bethpage but we thought they were for the ladies or young kids. At 12 we were old men.

I caddied and played and got better over the years. Pretty much always on the Black. When I got into high school I made the golf team and again we played the tough course. We would travel for matches and that ended the thought that all courses were the same as our home course. We thought all courses looked like that!

We were always surprised how easy other courses played, and loved watching the other visiting teams struggle on our Home Course.

Tiger once called it the hardest course he's ever played, and similar comments are heard from other pro's. There's the famous sign on the first tee warning that it is only for the Highest Skilled players. It wasn't there when we were kids.

I played there well into my 30's always loving the challenging. I recently was on Long Island on vacation, and was able to play the Red course. Lucky for me the Black was closed that day because they were readying it for a tournament. Nostalgia aside, at 74 it probably isn't good for my old muscles to be playing there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bomber_11
Occasional Contributor

Home Course is Pryor Creek Golf Course in Huntley, Montana.

Nicest Course I've ever played is Sandhills in Mullen, Nebraska.

0 Kudos