Home Course + Best You Ever Played

Regular Contributor

Just to get a better idea of where folks are from and where they like to play. 

I spread my rounds over a lot of local course, but I'd probably say my "home" track is Arrowood in Oceanside, CA. 

Best course I ever played was TPC Scottsdale with the stadium set up. Course was absolutely pure in every facet and the collisium around 16 was surreal!

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
ChrisEdwards
Occasional Contributor

As a recent Californial transplant originally from Rochester, NY, I still look back to Upstate NY as my home base for golf.

Rochester has a broad and underrated golf community and there are many, many fantastic tracks to choose from. However, there is a special place in my heart for Mendon Golf Club—a private, yet affordable and accessable course. With phenomial greens, a fair challenge, and some of the friendliest and passionate members around, Mendon is my go-to stop any time I am back in the area.

My favorite course I've played is an easy answer: Oak Hill Country Club. Also in Rochester, Oak Hill has been home to the Ryder Cup, US Opens, and PGA Championships, including the 2013 PGA Championship. Both the West and East Courses are meticulously manicured and feature massive, 100+ year old oak trees linng every hole. With the history and legacy of the country club, it is truly a spiritual golf experience every time you step foot on the grounds.

Chris Edwards
Copywriter — TaylorMade Golf
Frequent Contributor

I am from Columbus, IN so I count Otter Creek Golf Course as my Home course. It has been the Host for several Indiana State Ams. Fuzzy Zoeller and Jeff Overton won State Ams there.

Maybe not the Best Course I have played, but the most interesting is Brickyard Crossing. A 18 hole course with 4 holes inside the Indianapolis 500 track. Great to play will cars are running on the track!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm a member at a small semi-private club about an hour south of Minneapolis named Le Sueur CC. Its an old school track: fairly tight with small greens and a lot of elevation changes, so ball striking is at a premium.

I haven't played a lot of courses outside of Minnesota, but we have some good ones here. Hazeltine would be an obvious choice for best course given its major championship history, but as great as it is, that place just beats you up when you play from the back sets of tees. My choice would be Interlachen CC, a classic Donald Ross course. Bobby Jones won the 1930 US Open there in his grand slam season. It's a little short by modern standards, but it's still a great test if you aren't hitting it 320.

jimmycoola
Occasional Contributor

Home for me is Killara golf Club in Sydney Australia.

Unfortunately I've only played a few public courses around where I live, but am looking to check out the Hunter Valley region just north of Sydney early next year.

Also planning to take a week off in November to play the public competitions at some of the more reputable public courses

jpodolski31
Occasional Contributor

My "home" course would have to be Inniscrone Golf Club in Avondale, PA.  Really challenging Gil Hanse design, that always tests your shotmaking abilities.

Best ever for me has to be Harbour Town Golf Links in Hilton Head SC.  A pretty tight course, but well maintained and has fantastic views.

rjmattingly
Contributor

I play all over Chicago, mostly in the northwest and NW suburbs. I would say my home course is probably Chick Evans in Morton Grove. 

The best course I have ever played is hands down Torrey PInes, I played the South course the week after the Farmers and they still had seating up. It was amazing. Almost hit a guy taking down the seating. 

0 Kudos
Bad_At_Golf
Occasional Contributor

@jimmycoola Had the pleasure of being a short-term member at Killara while I was living in Sydney, Aug-Oct of 2014. Course was under maintenence, but still in great shape. The members were fantastic!

My home course is Lynx Ridge in Calgary, a great, challenging track, with two distinct 9s.

My favorite course that I've played would be The Ridge course at Predator Ridge. It's an amazing mountain golf course set in the Okanagan valley in BC. I wouldn't think many folks consider western Canada for destination golf, but Predator Ridge alone is worth the trip.

0 Kudos
lentscher
Occasional Contributor

Nice! I worked on the greens crew at Interlachen for a summer. Really enjoyed the course and would also rank it above Hazeltine. Don't get me wrong, Hazeltine is a great course but it's a grind like you said from the tips and really doesn't have the "take your breath away" views of some other elite courses. For MN courses, I also really liked Chaska Town Course and Bear Path. 

0 Kudos
lentscher
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently in Lakewood/Tacoma, WA area and bounce around a variety of courses here. I would consider the Home Course in Dupont, WA to be my home course though if I had to pick my "go to". 

Picking a "best ever" is really hard. I loved all the Kohler courses I got to play growing up in WI. But I may have to say that Bandon Dunes and the courses there would rival them for "best". They layouts and scenery along the ocean are just amazing and each course really gives you a unique challenge. I'm hoping to play Chambers Bay soon since I now only live 10 minutes from there, but having taken my kids to the parks there and walked along the course, I don't think it will quite rival Bandon. 

0 Kudos