LONG-IRON GAPPING ISSUES?  (Answer for your chance to WIN an M3 or M4 driver)

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

For me, I have a pretty steady 10-15 yard gap between each of my irons. However, once I get to my 5, 4, and 3-irons, that gap seems to tighten... almost to the point where I should consider replacing my 3-iron with something a bit longer.

My dad has a similar yet more critical issue... historically, he has had 3 or 4 clubs that "all go 200 yards."

Anyone out there have similar issues? What is the longest iron in your bag? Shortest metalwood/Rescue? Where is the biggest yardage gap in your long game? Do you have long irons, Rescues, or fairways that you avoid hitting at all costs?

Share any issues you're experiencing with your long-club gapping, and you’ll automatically be entered to win your choice of either an M3 or M4 driver.

OFFICIAL RULES

Chris Edwards
Copywriter — TaylorMade Golf
rbauchman
Contributor

Chris, I seem to be in the same boat as you with my 3 to 5 irons, where my yardage is limited between 175 and 190, and which is probably why I don't utilize my 3 or 4 iron often. Initially, I decided to get a 2-3 hybrid (adjustable between 16 to 19 degrees...I'll adjust based on my game and playing conditions) as an alternative to a 5 fairway wood and to alleviate the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron, but ended up finding the hybrid to be much more reliable than my 3 and 4 irons. The hybrid gives me the sense at address that I'm hitting an iron, but has that power/pop of a fairway/metal wood. I sometimes prefer the hybrid over my 3 wood, even if it means laying up, as the hybrid gives me more control. I would definitely consider getting a 4-5 adjustable hybrid before investing in multiple long irons.

0 Kudos
Stuart7

Hey Chris,

I have the same issue, but it is between my 3-wood, 3-iron, 4-iron, and 5-iron. The yardages are too close together and if possible i would like to open up the gap between my 3-wood(265yds), 3 iron(220), and 4-iron (210yds), 5-iron(200yds). If I could find a club to spread out the yardes a bit more, that would be amazing. I feel that when I swing those irons the distances are the same with the launch angle being the only difference.

TPfore84
Occasional Contributor
I have the biggest gapping issue with my 3 wood/3 iron/4 iron. They only differ by 3-5 yards. My 3 wood and 3iron basically go the same distance since I got the P790 irons. The one good thing is that I can control the 3 iron way better than my 3 wood. I think one reason why they go the same distance is because I’m still gaming the R9 TP 3 wood. I’m hoping when I upgrade it the gapping will be better.
Regular Contributor

I have a bit of an issue with the 3 and 4 irons. They have around a 10 yard gap instead of the 12-13 yard gap I have between other mid and long irons. For now, I have remedied the situation by playing a shaft in my 3 and 4 irons that is a half-flex softer than the rest of my clubs (C-Taper S rather than S+). This has allowed each club to perform better and fly slightly higher and getting a bit more carry.

wyattkasfeldt
I’m with the rest of the group on the little to no difference between my 3 and 4 irons. I just upgraded clubs to the P790’s and opted to start at 4. Then I purchased the M4 hybrid since I seem to hit that far enough with more control to justify getting rid of the 3 iron. It’s all personal preference but before I upgraded I would choose between the two based on loft and adjust my stroke accordingly for yardage.
0 Kudos
eriklutz

I love my taylormade sldr 3 wood. When I struggle with the driver, I know i can hit the 3 wood dead straight.

0 Kudos
bigfoot10s

I have a gapping issue between my 3w and 3h, and then 3h and 4i.  From the 3w to the 3h is probably about 30 yards difference, but mainly because the 3h has a hard time staying low.  I just consistently hit it high.  Not always a bad thing!  3h and 4i gap is probably 20 yards just because I don't have the confidence to hit the 4 like I should.  It is definitely my achilles heel in the bag.  Never feel super comfortable over it

0 Kudos
Simontg
New Contributor

3 hybrid and 4 iron go the same distance. I flip flop over which I have in the bag. The Hybrid offers a consistant shot , the 4 iron offers more versitility of shot shape. Not overly happy with the gapping with all my longer clubs. those 2 clubs the same distance, 5 iron is 20 yards shorter than them. Makes those long approach shots or getting to the right distance on a layup on a par 5 more difficult than it should be.

0 Kudos
cbrauman
Visitor

My issue is between my 3 wood to 3 and 4 iron, I seem to be hitting them all the same distance off the fairway except my 3w has better ball flight and carry distance so I use it instead of the irons.

Wish I could find somthing to fill the gap from 5 iron to 3w.

0 Kudos