LONG-IRON GAPPING ISSUES?  (Answer for your chance to WIN an M3 or M4 driver)

Ryanjcolvin34
I love the ability to use an M1 3-iron with a stiff heavy hybrid shaft. Really has helped the 3 wood - 4 iron gap.
0 Kudos
Justinrw
Occasional Contributor
It seems like I have a similar problem as most others commenting.

For me, my 7 - iron club head speed is about 94-95 average. Unless I could get some weaker lofted clubs, my 3-6 iron all end up about the same distance (I hit my 6 iron the most consistently obviously). The longer irons I have to slightly slow my swing speed to make clean contact. The 3/4 iron carries about 210. The 5/6 about 200.

I have started even teeing off with my 5 iron due to my driver being broken and also just haven’t found a driver I can hit as consistently well as my irons off a tee.

An M3 driver would be a god send.
Tyler
Occasional Visitor

Seems as if most golfers struggle with the 3iron / 3wood going the same distance issue. I do not have this problem as I do not game a 3 iron but a 7wd instead. My 7wood and 4 iron do tend to go the same distance but have very different ball flights. 

The biggest distance gap that I have in the bag is between 4 wood (225 carry) and driver 255+ carry). 

Thanks for this opportunity to win a new M driver! 

0 Kudos
Ryan777
Occasional Visitor

Hi Chris,

I have a very similar issue with the distances between my irons tightening as I get down to my 4 and 5. The longest iron in my bag is a 4, but I consistently hit it about the same as my very old 5 fairway metalwood (TaylorMade Burner 24 degree) and so I always favor the metalwood over the 4 iron. I too have about 3 or 4 clubs that go about 200 yards (never been able to track accurate distances - just go by eyesight at the range). From there, the biggest gap is between my 3 metalwood and my TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 driver, probably around 30-40 yards of gap!

Ryan

0 Kudos
Kylekoz17
New Contributor
My issues arent so much gap related, but tee/second shot related. My 3 iron and 3 hybrid go about the same difference, but I am better off the tee with the 3 iron as the hybrid wants to fade on me, and am better with the hybrid going into greens as it flies higher. So I end up keeping 3 wedges instead of 4
0 Kudos
ctraverse
Occasional Visitor

I have a new set of aero burners and it’s def a love hate thing... slowly becoming more love than hate I guess lol.  They really beat my old Calloways though!

corey

ctraverse@hotmail.com

0 Kudos
MCGolfTM
Contributor

I had that issue with my 3 iron as well. 200 yards from the 4 iron but the 3 iron was not any further. I was told it was due mostly to not being able to generate enough club head speed to have a noticeable distance gain between the two irons. I solved my long iron distance issue by bagging a 5 wood. Currently playing the M4 5 wood, great club and it is so easy to launch.

I even tried the 2i UDI and while it goes a mile when struck well, I am just more of a woods player. I am able to launch the ball much easier with the woods and have much more confidence with them.

As for the rescues, I just like the look of the fairway wood at adress over the rescue so I usually go that route. It can bite me however when I am in deep rough and really only have the 4i for long shots from the rough. I have too many other clubs in the bag to add a rescue for the few times I would use it. I also had draw issues with the M2 rescue in the past and the woods were a better fit for me.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Todd3pc
Occasional Contributor

I have 4 iron that matches my Irons and then a 19* Adams Idea. Super DHy After that a19* Bridgestone hybrid and then a RBZ stage 2 3 wood. The. diff From the 4i to Adams is 10-15 yds. The diffence between the two 19* clubs is about 10 yds. Then their is about 20-30 yds to the 3 wood. The. To the driver is maybe another 20 to 30 yds. It would be nice to narrow the gap between the 3 wood and the next club down.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
xUKfan4lifex99
New Contributor

My biggest issue is between my 3 iron and 4 iron. I can hit my 3 iron and a 4 hybrid(if I have it in the bag) about the same distance but when I hit my 4 iron, im about 15-20 yards shorter. Ive always struggled with long irons but the more I use them, the better I get. That distance from one iron to the next one in line shouldnt be that far off though. From 4 iron to 5 iron and down the line the distances aren't that far off with each club. Id love to be able to tighten up that distance between my 3 iron and 4 iron.
0 Kudos
Lugil
New Contributor
I have problems with my e and 4 iron...not getting much difference in yardage between them. Generally go with a 3 or 5 wood instead to get higher ball flight with consistent distance.
0 Kudos