LONG-IRON GAPPING ISSUES?  (Answer for your chance to WIN an M3 or M4 driver)

rbauchman
Contributor

Saw that the Big Cat is busting out the new GAPR LO driving iron at Carnoustie this week. Probably not a bad move given how baked out the course is. His creativity and shot-shaping ability with long irons is going to be fascinating to watch and hopefully get in contention.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bgdaddy_k
Occasional Visitor

I did before switching to Taylormade, I played Ping G2 irons 3-PW.  My gapping was good until the 3, 4, 5 irons, all around 200-210.  I bought two hybrids (3h 17* & 4h 21*) and then took the 3 & 4 irons out of my bag.  This worked but I had too many clubs for tournament play with a new wedge set I bought.  Also, I couldn't give up my 3w as I wasn't getting anywhere close to the distance with a 3h (260 versus 230).  And when I am struggling with Driver, the 3w gave me confidence for tight fairways.

With my current Taylormade set, I am seeing a large gap between my 6 iron and 7 iron. I havent really had issues with gapping on my 4 or 5 irons both being about 15yds apart.  I play M4 irons and even had the same problem with M2 version i had before.  My 7 iron is my 175yd club.  My 6 is good for 200yds. My gapping appears to be about 13-15yds for all clubs except that 5-6-7 iron gapping. 

dfarm09
I find that I hit my m4 6 iron about the same distance as my 5 iron. I hit my 6 more consistently though, so I have summed it up to a consistency issue. There are times that my 5 iron goes 10-15 yards further.
Aidengreen
New Contributor

Yea same here just fitted m3 irons the gapping drops from my 7 iron 180 to my 6 iron 195 and my five iron 210

0 Kudos
Horne11
I have a similar issue where my 4 and 5 iron go about the same distance. Last time I got fitted the TaylorMade rep recommended I take the 4 iron out of the bag and go with a 4 hybrid. Now I have about 20 yards between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid. I feel a lot more comfortable hitting a 4 hybrid of the tee and deck than I ever did with my 4 iron. Right now I’m playing with just 13 clubs in the bag after taking the 4 iron out of the bag.
0 Kudos
Grasswhole
New Contributor
I believe the problem is with how modern irons have been delofted and the long irons started to become crammed together. I recently had TM bend my PSi irons 2* weak so that the P is now 47.5* to better match up with my wedges. It still doesn’t fix the loft crowding in the long irons, however. Basically the irons in general need wider gaps and need to end up with the P around 50 or 51* using the extra loft degrees to space out the longer irons a bit. Would absolutely love to test a set like this with modern iron design...
0 Kudos
DAFGOLF
New Contributor

I have a Loft and Lie bending machine, so I have tinkered with my lofts in my irons. I play the P790's. I have basically squeezed the gaps on the higher clubs and opened the gap in the lower. I do not mind hitting the 3 iron off the tee on par 4s, I get it out there 215-220 and fairly straight. Worth a shot if you have someone you trust to bend your clubs.

0 Kudos
ScurrN
New Contributor

I would love a new GAPR Mid to replace my current 4 iron. Something to help me off the tee as well as assist my need for a club which assists in getting height on my approach shots but also allows workability. Would greatly help my game! Love TM!

0 Kudos
DAFGOLF
New Contributor

I can tell you the 3Mid GAPR I put in my bag has been Awesome! I have it turned down from  stock 18 degrees all the way down and it is a Beast. Works well between P790 3 iron and M1 3 wood, (that is more like 4 wood loft).

0 Kudos
Lloydy85
New Contributor
I'm a steady 270 yards off the tee.
240 yard 3 Wood, but then it goes to pot! 230 yard 5 wood but then I can't hit my 4 or 5 iron any more. The rest of my clubs I can hit great. Woods off the fairway, 6,7,8,9,pw all great, but the gap between my 5 wood and 6 iron is scandalous. I either have to lay up or take some off the 5 wood resulting in no consistency and unpredictable ball flight. Any one else have such issues?
0 Kudos