LONG-IRON GAPPING ISSUES?  (Answer for your chance to WIN an M3 or M4 driver)

Tinkerer
New Contributor
New here, sorry but not sure where to ask this: on the hunt for an upgrade in irons, considering M2s either 2016 / 17, have hit both & prefer the 17’s but, worried about face slot issues. I am an old timer so, max 85 mph swing, soft ball etc. - do face slot issues happen more to hard hitters? Please advise.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Justinrw
Occasional Contributor
Have you tested the CGBs?
0 Kudos
PretzelMelts
New Contributor
I have a falling issue from my 3W to my 3 Hybrid an 3 iron. I carry my 3W about 260/265 but then my 3Hybrid which SHOULD be 235/240ish and then to my 4 iron which is about my 220ish club. The problem is I just boutgh my M2 hybrid odd the rack w the Reax shaft in it and that shaft isn’t right for me AT ALL and it balloons and sometimes not even out 200, so that is somewhat my fault. I’ve thought about going Driver/3W and then 5W instead of 3 hybrid and then my P770s start at 4iron.
0 Kudos
Tinkerer
New Contributor

No, I haven't hit those - are they a good choice? Can't afford to buy new but really liked the feel of the face slots in 2017 M2's but, scared of getting shafted buying used because of the slot face issues - hence the question: could a gentle swinger like me really cause a face collapse?

0 Kudos
Justinrw
Occasional Contributor
I would say they are a good fit for a gentle swinger. Mass amount of forgiveness and distance. And if cost is an issue, TM has the Turn thing where you can pay monthly (It’s how I ordered my P730s).
0 Kudos
ChuckTrey
My issue is with driver, and my hybrid/long irons. I just ordered the m4 irons as I already tried and loved them. Next steps will be replacing my 3 wood and driver with the new m4’s hopefully.
0 Kudos
GJordan
New Contributor

25 years ago in a TV interview Arnold Palmer said that amateur golfers should learn to hit 3-irons. If they could do that, they could hit any club. So for years I’d go to the practice range with only a 3I and hit and hit and hit until I found the swing that worked. A swing that gave me 220-240 from a tee and 215+ from the fairway. Ball forward in stance, stand upright, no forward press with hands, same take away and transition, but 100% on the downswing, head perfectly still. Golfers don’t practice enough with long irons to get comfortable enough to commit to the swing; so hybrids ae an easy answer. I’m not as long as I was then, so today I’ve replaced my 4I with 4H, and use it mostly from the fairways and have replaced my 3I with a 2I. I still hit 20 2-irons every time I practice. My 12 yo TM Burner 3W is still my favorite club in the bag. I don’t worry about my gaps between my long-irons/4H and 3W that often. From the tee the gap is about 15 yards (210-220 vs. 235-250ish). From the fairway, the gap is irrelevant to me. Nine out of 10 times when I’m hitting long iron/hybrid3W from the fairway, I’m hitting my second on a par-5 and risk vs. reward and the lie of the ball are much bigger factors than precise distance control.

0 Kudos
GJordan
New Contributor

If that is truely what is happening, I'd suspect the issue is not the club, but the swing. A fully committed swing with a 3-4 iron, each with a lower loft, will produce progressively longer ball flight. If you take 10% off a 4-iron, I have no doubt the ball will fly as far your 'normally' struck 5I.  There of course is the trajectory considerations... A harder swings produces high ball flight which produces less cary. (Colin Montgomery did a great session on this topic when he did a "playing with the Pros" show on Golf Channel).  But all other things being equal, with irons, lower loft = lower trajectory= longer ball carry. So if you've got three clubs producing the same 200 yard result, and all three clubs have differnt lofts...the thing that is changing is the swing. Whether that is ball position,  swing speed, or de-lofting of clubface with set-up or the different angles of swing-plane for the clubs. If it were me...I'd go the range and hit the three clubs from a tee and try and determine the cause. Hit them all as you would normally do so but when your do so, mark the poisition of your feet as you hit each club.  Make note of the difference.  Then check the trajectory from each club. Hitting off a tee, there should be a distinct difference. Once you done that with a few times. Put tape or foot powder on the club face and check the point of impact. I'd lay odds that the answer is that he is hitting the ball higher on the club face with his longer irons and more in the sweet spot with >5-iron.  If contact point is the same, then the answer is likely that he is 'adding loft' to his longer irons either at address or with a steeper angle of attack on swing-plane. This can be see by watching the trajectory. 

0 Kudos
bayoubogeyguy
New Contributor

The day the Original TaylorMade Rescue came out in 19* my 3 iron left the bag. Over the years that has proven a brilliant decision. My 4 iron carries 195. The new Rescue in my bag I can choke down and hit it 205 or take a full swing and pick up additional yards. So the longest iron is a 4, the biggest gap would be between a full 4 and a full 3 Rescue. Choking down solved that problem. There's nothing in my bag I won't hit. If there was I'd toss it out. Now for some #TwistFace technology!  

0 Kudos
stlstephens
New Contributor
I have the opposite issue. I have a good 20 yard gap between my 4 iron and my 3 hybrid. But my 4 and 5 iron are virtually identical. I only hit my 4 iron when in th junk and need to keep it low anymore. Besides that it’s pretty worthless to me...used to be my fav club in fact.
0 Kudos