LONG-IRON GAPPING ISSUES?  (Answer for your chance to WIN an M3 or M4 driver)

donbid93
I can’t hit my 4 iron to save my life. Just when I am ready to take it out of my bag I give it one more chance and bombs away. This happens 1 in 10 times. I have much better luck with my hybrid. I would love to be able to hit my long irons consistently, but it always seems to get in my head that I am about to hit the dirt or blade it and it rolls about 40 feet. It is a definite hate love relationship
0 Kudos
cbhaugen11
Occasional Visitor

Hey Chris!

I definitely have a similar issue-my current setup includes a 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4 iron, and 5 iron. I seem to hit the wood and hybrid the same distance and the irons the same distance. As such, I almost always avoid hitting the wood and the 4 iron as the minor loss in distance (3-5 yards) is overcome by a slight increase in forgiveness. This leaves me with huge gaps between my longest iron, my longest wood, and my driver. 

0 Kudos
lhfriedrich6

Chris!

I have the exact same problem. I have old clubs that seem to leave me with giant gaps between my driver and longest iron! It seems as though the only difference between my driver and 3 wood is the launch angle and the same is true for my 4 and 5 irons. This leaves me with about a 30-35 yard gap-it is so frustrating!

shaugen5

Hello Chris,

I too suffer from long-iron gapping issues. As I’ve gotten older, it seems as though my driver and 3 wood distance have regressed closer and closer to my 3 and 4 iron distance, while my other clubs have maintained appropriate gapping. At this point, I avoid hitting my driver since my 3 wood seems to go just as far. This “clumping” of my long game has left a large gap between my 4 and 5 irons (close to 30 yards) and results in me having to hit more “feel” shots than I should. 

Cary8760

Hi Chris,

I have a similar issue with my 4-iron and 3-iron. I tend to hit both very well and acceptable but always hit them a similar distance. I dropped the 3-iron from my bag decided to carry an extra gap wedge instead. My problem is the gap between my driver and 3-iron. I carry a 5-wood but I can only manage a decent shot out of the fairway 50% of the time. Due to this, I try and avoid hitting my five wood unless it is off the the tee box. I'd rather opt for a 4-iron that lands 40-50 yards short rather than going on a safari looking for a golf ball that I shanked with my 5-wood. My favorite club in the bag is my 7-iron. Absolutely cannot hit my 3-wood. I still carry it, but it's only for decorative purposes!

Great questions!

Brad

andrewhovenga
Occasional Visitor

Personally, I have a good 12-18 yard gap between all of my irons.  That is except for the gaps between my 4i, 4H, and 3W, all of these distances are within the same 5-7 yard window.  Im not sure if I'm hitting my 4 iron very well or if I'm not getting the most out of my 3 wood, or maybe it's both.  Anyway it leads to some frustration on the course when I need something a little more than my 4i, but I apparently don't have anything more in the bag.

coblepot
New Contributor

Like most people I guess my yardage gap is pretty consistant until i get to my 3 and 4 iron. With those clubs it really doesnt matter which one I use, the distance i get out of them seems to be identical. I have actually added a 1 hybrid into my bag to be able to get those longer distances. But now i have a pretty sizable gap between my 3 iron and that hybrid. Basically the hybrid was suppose to bridge the gap i had between
my 3 iron and 3 wood. But all its done is left me with the same issue as I hit my hybrid about as far as my 3 wood just more condistantly. So it has basically solved nothing for me. Ugh, golf can be such a frustrsting game.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Justinrw has been selected to win an M3 or M4 driver. Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and continues to be active on TaylorMade Community! Keep reading for more promotions in the future and check back for weekly updates, insights, and news from Tour in our Blog section.

Chris Edwards
Copywriter — TaylorMade Golf
rbauchman
Contributor

Congrats @Justinrw and thanks for putting on the contest @ChrisEdwards...good insights into this apparently common issue.

0 Kudos
BigCat
New Contributor
My longest iron is a 5 and my itrons have pretty standard gap. After my five I move to my hybrids and wood. It’s a pretty good setup and the hybrids are pretty easy to hit
0 Kudos