Qualified for the US Mid-Amateur today

Regular Contributor

My first one since 2010, and my third USGA event overall.

Today's #TeamTaylorMade WITB:

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange Prototype 70TX

TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X

TaylorMade P790 UDI 2, Steelfiber i95 S

TaylorMade 3-PW RSi TP, KBS C-Taper S+

TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52, DG S400 Tour Issue

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58.10, DG S400 Tour Issue

TaylorMade TP Black Copper Soto

TaylorMade TP5 (#3)

I've had a good season so far, but went away from my P7TW over the weekend and put the old RSi TP back in the bag to get some old feels back. I also borrowed the TP Soto from @TK3309 this past weekend. After 6 years with a Spider of some sort, I just needed a different look for a little bit. I'm sure I'll be back to the Spider soon, but the Soto was great today.

IMG_5676.jpg

Super Contributor
Congrats on the qualifier, must have been some great shooting. Cool to see you get it done with the RSi TPs.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I really like the TW blades, but I track my stats very closely and my strokes gained approach was down this season. Put the RSi back in the bag to see if that would help get me back to where I used to be. Just like putting on an old, comfortable pair of worn in jeans. hahaha

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Good to hear, I would imagine that the forgiveness level was a factor. Although, who can resist those P7TWs? Have you put the Soto in play any rounds other than today, or just some leading up to the qualifier? I tried the Soto Copper with flow neck on the putting green at my club one day, but just couldn't get used to it. I have been a Spider guy for so many years, going back to a blade just psyched me out.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I played a Scotty Santa Fe from 1999 through 2007, so the flow neck Soto is very similar and wasn't much of an adjustment. I played 36 holes with the Soto over the weekend, plus some practice time, and decided to put it in the bag for today's event.

When I'm testing putters, I'm primarily concerned with 6 feet and in. If 4 feet and in is automatic and I'm making the right percentage of 6 footers, then I can game the putter. Distane control is never really a problem. I've found that I can use nearly any putter and have good speed.

The biggest benefit of the Spider is on those 6 feet and in putts. They feel automatic. But my setup got off over the past few weeks and I struggled to get it corrected, so I needed a change for a little while. Using something with a different look and different amount of toe hang helped.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I hear you, sometimes a refreshing look and feel make all the difference. Even if the change is just temporary, it have a great effect on your game and scores. That’s evident with your qualifier. Keep us all updated on the prep for the Mid-Am and what equipment you decide to go with for the event.

#TeamTaylorMade
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's awesome @jll62! Glad your "ol' reliable" sticks helped you get it done! Let us know how you're progressing as the tournament gets closer. 

0 Kudos