What is you best golf story?

rjmattingly
Contributor

What is your best, or favorite, golf story? Share memorable stories from your time on the course. 

0 Kudos
Stevemc79
New Contributor
About 3 weeks ago. One of my group broke 80 for the first time. A week before his 67th birthday he broke 80. I was a nervous wreck. I played on course psychologist. Talked to him about everything but how well he was playing or score. He had shot 80 a couple times years back before I started in the group. He complained that some guys previously would talk to him about it. Tell him what he needs to shoot to break 80. I made him putt an 8 incher on 18. He was so confused until i shook his hand and told him. Not everyday you get to see one of the better moments in someone elses life.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

A buddy once bet me $100 he'd beat me with just his 8 iron and a putter. 

We were the same skill, about 10 handicaps, both with a ton of speed. A big issue with our games was blowing balls OB to kill our scores. He thought if he just hit 8 iron, he'd stay safe and beat me.

He had a 5 stroke leading going into 16. I went birdie birdie on 16 and 17 and he went bogey par to cut the lead to 2. On 18, i get on the par 4 in 2 and his approach goes short in a high-lipped bunker. He took 3 shots to get out and two-putted for a 7 and I two-putted for par to win. 

He didn't say a single word after the round or the entire 30 minute car ride home and dropped me off at my house, again without saying a word. Hour later i got a venmo for $100 with the comment "son of a bitch". Despite the uncomfortable ride home, the intense match and legendary blowup were well worth it. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
DennisMiller
Contributor

The first time I beat my father, I was 10 years old. He acted all grumpy, but when we went home, he said I had 30 minutes to shower and get ready to go out to dinner. Mom and Dad took me to mt favorite steak restaurant for dinner and had arranged a little cake for me. They turned it into a celebration I've never forgotten.

Anothr story was something I wish I had a video of. The Italian Benevolent Society held a fund raisting tournament at the, (now closed), Calusa Golf Club in SW Miami, Florida. My wife's Uncle Vernon asked me to play on his team and during the tournament, I won the long drive contest on one hole and he won it on the other measured hole.

At the awards ceremony later that night, we were awarded the prizes that had been donated by various Italian owned businesses. I won a Giovenetti chair worth about $1200. Uncle Vernon won a chain saw...

0 Kudos
dwilly1986
Occasional Contributor

this past weekend i went and played a round with my brother at Cattails Golf Course in Alamosa, Colorado.

i had my bet hole ever on the 2nd hole its a par 4. after driving the ball better then i ever have , i was able to use my Dunlop 52* tour wedge and was on the green in 2. my ball landed about a yard from the pin so i was excited i had a  chance for birddie,(my putting game needs work) my first put rolled right on the lip and went about half a yard from the pin. i sunk it and got my first par ever in my life. may not seem huge but for me it helped me with my confidence the rest of the round and nocked a lot of strokes off my handicap.

0 Kudos