Favorite hole at Augusta National?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

One of the unique things about the Masters is that the public gets to know the course so well. What is your favorite hole out there?

Mine is Hole 13, Azalea. I know this is the cliche answer, but it's one of the greatest golf holes in the world. It's reachable by nearly the entire field, there's a risk-reward element off the tee, and the second shot is far more difficult than the pros make it look. I used to love 7 and 11 before the added length changed how those holes play, but 13 has always been my favorite.

For a righty, that second shot is devilish. The ball is significantly above your feet (tending to favor a right-to-left shot), but the green moves back to the right. If you pull it, you're long left and facing a touchy up and down. If you fan one out to the right, you're wet. This is one of the holes were I think lefties have a large advantage.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was lucky enough to go last year and in person, 13 is my favorite hole because it's seclusion, backdrop (pines and flowers), and it's part of Amen Corner. 

On TV though, I really love watching 16. Any good shot looks like it has a chance to go in and if someone misses, it always make for an intense up and down. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
Regular Contributor

Great call on 16. It only takes a few paces to the right to get caught up on that slope. Plenty of drama unfolds on that hole every year.

I was reminded yesterday just how great 15 is on TV. That camera angle from behind the ball late in the day on Sunday is perfect with the patrons on 16 in the background, the long shadows starting to creep in, and this seemingly small table on which you're supposed to hit your shot.

Augusta15.png

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

That hole is a beast and in my top 3. In person, that approach area is on an insane decline and it might as well be an island green. TV does not do it justice. I heard someone on radio coverage say the layup approach on 15 is the toughest shot on the course. 

Content/Social Media Manager at TaylorMade Golf
0 Kudos
DennisMiller
Contributor

My favorite hole is 16, by far.

0 Kudos
nosoup4u72
New Contributor

12, walking across that bridge is pretty special

0 Kudos
Spezza
Occasional Visitor
I like 15. A ton of low and big numbers. Watching this hole Sunday with a few bunches together makes for great drama
0 Kudos
gioguy21
Occasional Contributor

would have to agree with the contingent -- 16, or 13. 

0 Kudos