MDF - Made the cut, did not finish...what does it mean?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

This one sneaks up on you every now and again and only when the field is too big heading into the weekend.

But do you even know what MDF means next to a player's name on the leaderboard?

Typically, the top 70 and ties make the cut. But when the ties go beyond 78 players heading into Saturday, it becomes a challenge for tournament organizers, so they effectively have another cut on Saturday night and some guys don't make it to Sunday and have an MDF placed next to their name. This happened at THE PLAYERS where 9 guys played Saturday and then failed to make Sunday.

What do you think about this rule? Fair? Not fair?

Here's more on it from GolfWeek: MDF

@ryanlauder66
TK3309
Contributor

I think it's a good rule. Come Sunday they need to juggle pace of play, TV times, potential playoff and most importantly making sure the tournament finishes on Sunday because everyone needs to be somewhere the next day. Saturday gives a chance for some guys who made the cut on the number to make a move but if you're 70-78th place come Sunday I think it's just fine they institue the MDF. 

Highlighted
rbauchman
Contributor

I agree with @TK3309 and think it's fair. I didn't even notice that there was a 2nd cut at The Players until I read about Lucas Glover's incident Smiley Sad I would wager to say that most viewers or spectators also don't notice, unless they are following a favorite player. It keeps the focus on those that are in contention. Not too say that these guys would never have a chance of climbing to the top of the leaderboard on Sunday, but it's highly unlikely and they are still getting paid with an MDF. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To be honest, I liked it better when you made a cut and played the weekend, or you didn't. I understand the arguments in favor of the secondary cut from a logistics standpoint, and it's hard to argue against them, but I liked the old way.

How many times have we seen a guy be near the back of the pack heading into Sunday, only to find something during the final round, post a great number, and then go on a bit of a run over the next few weeks. If that player was a part of the secondary cut, that never happens.